More RAM: Ready boost flash drive or actual memory?

coolsoundman

Hey folks,

I don't know if this has been discussed here before or not, but got a question about ram memory. My computer is running a 2.3 gizhz dual core processor with 3 gigs of ram. I guess with all the programs that isloaded into memory it is probably reduced by half if not less. I'm running with Windows Vista Home edition OS, and by what I understand is that this version of windows can use a flash drive as added memory. As long as it is "ready boost" enabled. Would that be the easiest way to have more ram or should I go and upgrade by buying more memory? There was a time when I was loading a drum sampler and it gave me a message saying that there wasnt enough ram space. Any suggestions on this matter?

The way a modern virtual-memory–based OS works, an app runs out of RAM when it hits the limits of virtual memory (2GB on Windows XP by default), not when it runs out of physical RAM. If you were really getting a "not enough RAM" error, try enabling 3/1 user/kernel split mode.

If that still doesn't do it, chances are the only solution is to move to a 64-bit version of Windows on a 64-bit CPU with a 64-bit audio app. If your performance was terrible because the hard drive was thrashing constantly, then I'd say "get more RAM". Not for an "out of memory" message, though.

There is a similar approach using USB Flash to increase RAM with Windows XP
Google it.
Unfortunately, I never had the time to try it.

Like I said, that won't help. If you're running out of physical RAM, you perceive this as a decrease in performance, not an "out of memory" error. If you are getting an "out of memory" error, it is always caused by something other than a lack of physical RAM.

Like I said, that won't help. If you're running out of physical RAM, you perceive this as a decrease in performance, not an "out of memory" error. If you are getting an "out of memory" error, it is always caused by something other than a lack of physical RAM.
Like at work ... too many Microsoft applications opened at the same time .... Outlook, Excel, Word, IE Explorer, Windows Explorer ... 512 RAM ... extremely slooowwwwwwwwwwww and stop dead in their tracks sometimes.
That's why I use Open Office 3 at home ... and it's free. :D
I try to avoid other resource hogs, period ... Adobe and WinAmp can be too

WinAmp has always been (to me, anyway) a transparent program, which is why (I thought) it became popular over many other programs like WMP (which is a resource hog up the wazzoooo) and stuff like RealJukebox.

Hey folks,

I don't know if this has been discussed here before or not, but got a question about ram memory. My computer is running a 2.3 gizhz dual core processor with 3 gigs of ram. I guess with all the programs that isloaded into memory it is probably reduced by half if not less. I'm running with Windows Vista Home edition OS, and by what I understand is that this version of windows can use a flash drive as added memory. As long as it is "ready boost" enabled. Would that be the easiest way to have more ram or should I go and upgrade by buying more memory? There was a time when I was loading a drum sampler and it gave me a message saying that there wasnt enough ram space. Any suggestions on this matter?

From the sounds of it the Readyboost option "may" improve things.....BUT

You have a decent enough spec machine and should not really be running into memory problems...

Windows Vista is (unfortunately) a TERRIBLE operating system thats far too heavy on PC resources....
Personally, I'd put XP or even Windows 7 on it (when it comes out)

Secondly, there is an awful lot of tweaking that could be done on most machines to drastically improve performance...
see http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&sourc...jApWPONYRM2GrIqcQ&sig2=gdMeCpEbg_m4DItfP-dO5A

... for plenty of examples

Last edited:
Back