More problems with FastTrack USB

Kronpox

I have a mixer going into the Line input of my M-Audio FastTrack USB. The levels are all way too low, and the recorded signals are only on the right side. I've fiddled the Line/Instrument switch, the Stereo/Mono switch, and all the knobs and controls in the software. Nothing's helping. All of my drivers are up to date. I can't work like this, so any help'd be great, thanks.

Sounds like your pre-amplification is not doing its job. and if you select stereo, you need a device that outputs stereo into the unit L/R channels.

I bought the Fast Track as well, and I had so much trouble getting the thing to do its simple job. I used it with Adobe Audition, and I don't know why, but everything I recorded played back like a half step higher in pitch. That was if I was lucky enough to get Audition to recognize it. Also, It wouldn't let me input MIDI drums to record over. It wouldn't start to record when I had MIDI drums in the multitrack. Anyone know if this was something else malfunctioning besides the Fast Track?

scrubs said:
You need to be recording to a mono track in your software.

I want to be able to record in stereo. It shouldn't be this hard.

The mixer is outputting to stereo, and being sent into the Line In on the FastTrack, which is set for Guitar (because the levels are louder with it, but it does the same thing in Line mode). If I plug my headphones into the FastTrack, then the stereo problem is fine, but the levels are still somewhat low. I'm running my mixer flat-out into the FastTrack- It doesn't even hear the mic at all if it's not cranked.

I'm stumped, boys

Kronpox said:
I want to be able to record in stereo. It shouldn't be this hard.

The mixer is outputting to stereo, and being sent into the Line In on the FastTrack, which is set for Guitar (because the levels are louder with it, but it does the same thing in Line mode). If I plug my headphones into the FastTrack, then the stereo problem is fine, but the levels are still somewhat low. I'm running my mixer flat-out into the FastTrack- It doesn't even hear the mic at all if it's not cranked.

I'm stumped, boys

The line in on the fast track is a mono input. I don't think you can record in stereo on that device. You might be able to run one input into the 1/4" and one into the XLR, but I'm not sure (check the manual).

scrubs said:
The line in on the fast track is a mono input. I don't think you can record in stereo on that device. You might be able to run one input into the 1/4" and one into the XLR, but I'm not sure (check the manual).

Hm.

When I record through the XLR, it's still mono, but it's the opposite side than the 1/4". I guess now I should either work on trying to find some cables that'll let me run the L out of the mixer into one and the R out into the other at the same time.

Man this is getting more complex than I thought it'd be. Thanks for the help, though.

Kronpox said:
Hm.

When I record through the XLR, it's still mono, but it's the opposite side than the 1/4". I guess now I should either work on trying to find some cables that'll let me run the L out of the mixer into one and the R out into the other at the same time.

Man this is getting more complex than I thought it'd be. Thanks for the help, though.

Yes, XLR inputs are mono also. If you can use both inputs on that device simultaneously, then yes, you could run the left channel into the 1/4" and the right channel into the XLR (or vice versa, depending on the device setup). Good luck.

scrubs said:
Yes, XLR inputs are mono also. If you can use both inputs on that device simultaneously, then yes, you could run the left channel into the 1/4" and the right channel into the XLR (or vice versa, depending on the device setup). Good luck.

You've been real helpful- Do you have any help on how to raise the levels, though?

Back