Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Monitoring on laptop

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko zzed View Post
    Well yes, it does indeed provide a preamp, but it does more than that

An audio interface is designed specifically to allow full duplex recording, i.e. you can efficiently play output as you record input. The internal sound that most laptops have doesn't do this all that well. Instead of plugging from the laptop to the stereo, just plug from interface to stereo.

Monitor using headphones plugged into the interface. Your transition will start slow, but soon speed up.
    Ok, I'm getting a bit lost with what you're referring to as an audio interface. My old set up used to be a Joe meek pre amp to power the mic which then fed into my korg digital recorder. I would then plug headphones into the korg whilst recording so I can hear my input and the track I was playing along to. Once recorded I'd then playback through my stereo to mix which was connected to the korg.

I assumed moving to a laptop with a DAW such as cakewalk on it was replacing the korg recorder element and buying the focusrite scarlett was replacing the joe meek preamp.

I've noticed that my laptop doesn't have any decent audio outs and I'd basically need to connect via the headphone socket.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmac74 View Post
    Ok, I'm getting a bit lost with what you're referring to as an audio interface. My old set up used to be a Joe meek pre amp to power the mic which then fed into my korg digital recorder. I would then plug headphones into the korg whilst recording so I can hear my input and the track I was playing along to. Once recorded I'd then playback through my stereo to mix which was connected to the korg.

I assumed moving to a laptop with a DAW such as cakewalk on it was replacing the korg recorder element and buying the focusrite scarlett was replacing the joe meek preamp.

I've noticed that my laptop doesn't have any decent audio outs and I'd basically need to connect via the headphone socket.
    The Scarlett is an audio interface that has a number of functions. It has a preamp inside it, but importantly, it has analog to digital converters and vice versa.

So mike goes into scarlett and its preamp provides gain for the mike. The signal is converted from analog to digital inside the Scarlett which then goes via USB to your laptop. You then do whatever you have to do in cakewalk. When you play back whatever you've got recorded, it goes out via USB back to the Scarlett and is converted from digital to analog. From here you can listen via headphones plugged into the Scarlett, or you can connect its output to your stereo.

Thanks
    That's great...thanks for the clear explanation 👍

Thread Information