Monitored sound good, but recorded is bad

akozols

Hi All,

My first post in a long time. I'm having a problem with a new laptop that I recently bought. I'm running a Behringer V-amp into an Emachines 627 laptop. I run the output of the v-amp into the mic/line in of the laptop. With everything plugged in, I can hear the sound just fine. Things get funky when I try to record. Even though the monitored sound is fine, the recorded sound has a wavey, distorted, phased, choppy sound. I've tried different input levels and settings, but the ouput is always the same. Also the sound wave that shows the recorded sound bounces around in amplitude.

I'm guesssing it's something to do with the internal soundcard of the laptop. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Al

it might be fault of onboard sound card but there are simply too many potential variables from information to be able to provide anything but most basic replies

unless soundcard is defective, while overall quality of recording based on converters and clock might be less then stellar the soundcard itself should not generate the symptoms you list

system settings, HD issues, conflicts with some types of programs still running while you are recording can generate these symptoms

a pretty basic culprit is simply gain level, simply monitoring @ v-amp doesn't tell you anything about whether gain is appropriate for the soundcard (if you are monitoring @ v-amp)

running a live level from V-amp into an input set for 'mic' on the computer will produce interesting and typically unflattering results

without hearing a sample of the problem it's hard to get much more specific

good luck

an understatement for sure

Yeah I haven't been here in years either. My DAW has worked great over the years. It's only when we have problems that a lot of us return to the forums. And with drive space only getting larger, processors multiprocessors only getting more efficient, and cables only getting faster, one would think that recording music digitally at home would be a great deal easier!

Um, regarding your issue, akozols, there's got to be a way for you to de-select "Direct Monitoring" from your recording application. Any sound being sent directly via a direct monitor channel will completely bypass any processing and sound great when you hear it coming back. If you can hear the recorded sound in real time without recording, however latent or distorted in may be, you can at least tweak your gain or try to adjust your buffer speeds until it sounds good while being processed... without recording it... if your laptop can process it at all you should be able to hear it coming back digitally somehow.

Back