mixing desk controling software

maerd

Is it possible to use a mixing desk to control software?
Like have EQ nobs on hardware that then change the EQ of a sound in something like cubase?
If so, what specs does that hardware have to have in order to be able to do this?

You wouldn't do this with a mixing desk, you would buy a control surface. That is what you are describing.

Yup, you need a control surface, I use a Mackie control universal with Cubase SX3 and it works great....

i'm in the same boat--needing to touch knobs when i mix--and this is the first i've heard of a control surface.

can someone expand upon this setup. I guess be more specific on the interplay/connections between the a console (however large or small) and the control surface and the soundcard. I use maudio omni studio and cool edit pro 2.0.

are their recommendations on a certain control surfaces? does one need both (mixer/cs)? or is one better to have over the other?

thank you.
jason

Most control surfaces are run via midi. One of the more elaborate ones is the pro control for pro tools. Google 'daw control surfaces' and you will find them. I'm not familiar with CEP, so I don't know what is compatable.

Back