Mixing analog and digital recording...

WykedPT

Just a quick question. I'm taking the dive into digital recording. Been doing analog for the past 55 yrs (home studio) I will be using a audiobox interface. I am guessing from my mixer to the interface I would need a DI box for matching output to input. Is this correct? All outs on the mixer are +4dB. Thanks...

No DI box should be needed. You should be able to go straight from the mixer to the line inputs of the AudioBox interface without any issues. You might not be aligned at 0VU on the mixer = 0VU on the input, but that's shouldn't be an issue. As long as you don't overload the mixer, set the inputs of your DAW to be around -10 to -20dB and you should get a clean signal. Use 24bit sample depth to make sure you have plenty of room above the noise floor.

Depending on how you are recording, you may not even need to use the mixer.

Thanks for the reply...I just ran from the mixer out into the audiobox from the bus out (I have 10) I usually run 8 bus outs into my 8 track and the other 2 into a cassette deck. I first hooked up one bus to one in on the interface..way to hot even with the interface control all the way down. Next went to the main outs,same thing. Also tried the tape outs same thing. Tops the DAW levels out. The interface sounds very nice by it's self with a mic or guitar plugged in. Levels stay at about -9 with the inputs almost all the way up. Think I may have to get the outs on the mixer down to instrument level to work right. I am running a 8 piece drum set and several instruments and mics into the mixer (32 channel) so it's a must. Any suggestions? Also the audiobox has no line inputs..

I was looking again at the specs for the Audiobox USB 96 (not sure if that is the model you have), and noticed that it doesn't include line inputs, only mic and instrument levels. Sorry I didn't see that earlier. That's pretty lame on Presonus' part, since adding a pad resistor is a really simple thing to do.

Yes, you would have to pad down the output to get it down to at least instrument level.

This might provide some guidance. All About Pads

Thanks for the info...I'm using an older audiobox usb I bought a cpl years ago..Never been out of the box. It's a starting point. If things work out I'll get an 8 in interface. I see most of them do have line in. I did order a active Di box for now. Thanks again for the help..:thumbs up:

I was looking again at the specs for the Audiobox USB 96 (not sure if that is the model you have), and noticed that it doesn't include line inputs, only mic and instrument levels. Sorry I didn't see that earlier. That's pretty lame on Presonus' part, since adding a pad resistor is a really simple thing to do.

Agree that it was a pretty basic design failure.

However, Presonus appear to have realised that and have included line level inputs on their Presonus AudioBox iTwo.

Back