Mixer for multitrack computer setup

chuchosay

I'm looking for a good mixer that will suit my needs for a computer multitrack setup. I'll be using a Motu 2408 and eventually a couple of Alesis AI3 A/D converters to achieve 24 tracks on my computer. But I've been looking for a mixer to plug all of my mics into that has balanced direct outs on every channel. Obviously, I have the ol $$$ holding me back too. I looked at the Carvin mixers, but I've heard some bad stuff about them, so now I'm thinking about buying a 16 channel Soundcraft FX16, (and adding an 8 channel mixer later) but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.
It would need to be 16 or 24 channels, w/ Phantom, direct outs on each channel, and under $1500.

Ever consider a digital mixer? The cool thing about them is that you can use MIDI control and digital i/o's. I have an 01V which is perfect for what I need. I run it into my Sek'd
Prodif and SBlive cards and it seems to be nice for a small studio space. (not much patching is required. )

Hope this was helpful.

im with CJ. especially if you havent bought soundcards yet, you should consider a digital solution.

xoox

I would not disagree with getting a digital mixer. There can be significant advantages in terms of low noise and automated controls. The thing you need to decide is how many analog (mic) inputs you need. At the time I was shopping the only digital mixer in my price range was the Tascam 1000, which had only 8 analog in (and only 4 mic pre-amps). Since I needed to be able to run a lot of mics at one time that just did not cut it. I have not yet seen any digital mixers with 16-24 analog inputs that did not cost huge $$$$$$.

Yes, RWhite. That's why I'm not going for a digital mixer. I want to be able to use all channels for mics if I want, so obviously I can't afford a digital mixer that can support anything like that. Does anybody have any opinions on Studiomaster? Their Trilogy 326 would work pretty well for me.

The whole mic pre thing seemed to me at first to be quite a problem. That's infact why I settled with the 01V. 12 mic pre's for a lower to mid-priced board. Plus you can link 2 01Vs together. They each have a TRS input also and 2 extra stereo inputs. So far this seems to be plenty.

Back