Mixer or interface?

lawsquared714

Ok so my husband has the m audio Fast Track for over a year and we did some really great recording with it. Now he's working on his album and as a time saver since he's a one man show, and since hes now got people he wants to record with in a more jam like session, obviously we need more ports than the Fast Track has. We're looking at something that can hook up to 4 mics and at least 2 guitar inputs, like the Behringer XENYX1204FX. We're running Audition 3.0 my questions are is this hard to get the hang of (my husband has just recently learned how to record without me being in the room ;p) And will we need anything else with this? or can we just hook it up to the usb port and add some speakers and be ready to go?
Or should we just go with something along the lines of the Lambda by Lexicon. I figure if he could make the m audio sound good then there is a possibility, that he's ready for a more professional solution. I'm familiar with audio interfaces and software but my hubby is not so savvy on the new technology, the man seriously was recording on a tape player after his 4 track died 5 years ago. I've got him in the modern era at least... So I guess what I'm asking is if he is familiar with mixers he should be able to pick this up right? Or should I stick with simple? We have phantom mics and headphones and that stuff... but we have a regular old sound card that came with our computer which is about a year old and is running windows vista as well! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! We can only afford to spend a max of 150 for the whole new deal... We're open to any other ideas as well.

I personally stay away from anything Behringer, used to sell them and man they get noise from the weirdest places in those boards. They're cheap for a reason. $150 for 6ch? That's a tough one, maybe wait for christmas and get him something like the firestudio project if he really needs at least 6 ch.

Back