Minimum computer requirements

andyhix

:dank:
I know this has been asked a million ways in a million different posts (possibly by me before, but I hope not :o ). So, a preemtive apology (neg me if you must).

Anyway, what is the bare-bones least I can get away with - primarily for mixing, and secondarily for tracking. Allow me to explain:

90% of the tracking is being done on our bassist's comp. at his house. I'm going to need to do all the mixing at my house (or else it will never get done). I'd also like to maybe do a few overdubs here and there.

Anyway, looking at maybe....lets see....maybe 12 to 16 tracks being mixed at a time. With some (not a ton) of plug ins, of course.

PC. Probably running Audition (that's what he uses, so it would be much simpler than moving to another program), and either monitoring through a firepod or a M-audio mobile pre.

I plan to buy a used comp from craigslist or something. I only can spare a few hundy at most. So THE MINIMUM is what I'm looking for.

To be perfectly blunt anything above a 486 is perfectly fine. Tons of chaps around here have recorded on 486s. The problem isn't that the software requires a huge processor, the problem is that the OS does!

So, if you are going with a Windows XP, look at any Pentium with 512K of RAM and a 40GB or larger HDD.

As far as current deals are concerned, you might check this out...

Dell E521 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ Desktop $419 shipped free - AMD 3200+ $369, Mar. 6 2 PM

Dell Small Business has new and fast AMD based desktops. Dimension E521 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 1GB DDR2/160GB, DVD ROM, No monitor, Geforce 6150 LE, 1yr Onsite warranty, Vista Home Basic $419 shipped free. Exp Wed

Customize It on Dimension E521, Customize, Customize It on rightmost config. Remove Monitor.

Dimension E521 Athlon 64 3200+ 512MB/80GB without monitor $369
Dimension E521 Sempron 3400+ 1GB/80GB $359

Additional 2% discount for checking out using Dell QuickLoan. Select Credit card as payment to see this offer.

Link

You can find perfectly serviceable monitors at a lot of Thrift stores for under $50.

about 2 years ago I was able to record and mix on an AMD K6 500 MHz with 256MB RAM using Windows XP and Audacity. that was with no plug-ins, though, so you might want to get something with a processor more around 1 GHz and 512 MB RAM. Easy to find packages like this on Craigslist or whatever for around $200.

Excellent fellas. Thanks. Pretty much right in the zone of what I was thinking. Anyone else want to comment?

wheelema said:
Dimension E521 Athlon 64 3200+ 512MB/80GB without monitor $369
Dimension E521 Sempron 3400+ 1GB/80GB $359

How do I know what processor is better than another? For instance Athlon v. Sempron in the above 2 computers. Sorry I'm asking such noob questions. I am just a bit out of my element.

andyhix said:
How do I know what processor is better than another? For instance Athlon v. Sempron in the above 2 computers. Sorry I'm asking such noob questions. I am just a bit out of my element.
Generally speaking, a Athlon is higher than the Sempron in the food chain, but a high end Sempron may give you better performance than a low end Athlon.

Personally, I would go with the Sempron in the examples given. You get double the RAM and a monitor, and you most likely will not miss the processing power of the Athlon.

There are a number of components that go into a persons perception of a computer's speed. Yes, the CPU is important, but the amount of RAM may be more critical (specially with plug-ins), the speed of the RAM (slow RAM in a fast machine is a bottleneck), and the video card all play a role.

Good luck!

The PC I record on is a POS....Athlon 1200, running XP, and it only recognizes 384MB of my RAM...and it records ok. Once in a while it will stutter, but that is usually because I forget to turn off any background stuff. I just got a Firepod, and it came with CubaseLE, and I've used it a few times, but mainly use Audition to record as I am more familiar with it. I then transfer the files to my better PC, to mix. The POS doesn't do well with many plugs running.

Dogman said:
The PC I record on is a POS....Athlon 1200, running XP, and it only recognizes 384MB of my RAM...and it records ok.

Same CPU as I have I think. I have 512MB RAM. My computer actually handles pretty well. More so with Reaper than any other software.

Most plug-ins take up very little CPU on my computer, except the really good ones like Waves Reverb. I can usually run about 6 of them at 44/24-bit before I start noticing a decrease in performance.

Other plugins don't seem to touch the CPU much at all.

so, in typical G.A.S. fashion, I am slowly expanding my budget for this computer. I now am looking at 1GB Ram, and a better processor than I originally was thinking. I'm still confused by all the different processors. For instance on Ebay are 2 identical (spec-wise) computers for the same price: One with a Pentium 4 3.2GHz and the other with a Pentium D 2.66Ghz Duo Core.

I've read where dual core is super fantasticly awesome or whatever, but given the GHz, which is the better option.

Oh, and my other dumb ass question is, can I assume that I should be able to plug any old POS monitor (screen) into the computer and it will work? Or will i need to DL drivers or something?

I always recommend a 2nd hard drive that's dedicated to audio. It's not a great idea to do a lot of recording onto your apps drive. External FireWire drives are handy for this purpose.

wheelema said:
To be perfectly blunt anything above a 486 is perfectly fine. Tons of chaps around here have recorded on 486s. The problem isn't that the software requires a huge processor, the problem is that the OS does!

So, if you are going with a Windows XP, look at any Pentium with 512K of RAM and a 40GB or larger HDD.

As far as current deals are concerned, you might check this out...

Link

You can find perfectly serviceable monitors at a lot of Thrift stores for under $50.

I'm sorry but I cant believe you said this......

Anything above a 486 is perfectly fine? Are you kidding?? You actually believe that?? You are asking for headaches....

Whatever.....

I cant believe nobody has told the guy to call Adobe and ask them what is the minimum system their software will run on. Dont be surprised if they tell you some of their programs are not compatible with Athlon......and yes they will tell you which ones.

Some software makers mean it when they say "Minimum Intel Pentium IV with 256mb ram". Man, if you tell this guy to try and run XP and Audition on any old Athlon that's better than a 486, you wont be making a friend out of him.....

No other forum on the planet shocks me consistently like this one does.... :(

I have a Sempron 1.8 ghz, it had 512mb Ram and I bumped it to 1 gig this weekend. If you have ever heard my stuff, its very complex and has lots of tracks. I didnt use a ton of plug-ins but I used maybe reverb, compression and eq plus one softsynth.

The additional 512mb ram I installed seems to have very little effect :rolleyes: I can probably get a few more plugins I assume.

Circuit city had a new computer and monitor for $309 total :eek: Looked fine to me, I didnt check it out well but I think it was a brand name (not e-machine stuff) and had a dvd burner and 512mb ram. My RAM was 40 bucks at Office Max.

I'm working with a 750mhz pentium with 512RAM and it's TOTALLY unable... And I only mix with this.

EQing a 50min livetrack takes like...10-15 minutes, I hate that...

Windows always hogs yer resources.. so does firewalls and AV, so best to keep the machine out of internet and be free of Fwalls AV and CONSTANT updating of OS. :cool:
If its a windowz box, make sure all those are disabled completely, and crap like Outlook and other useless stuff removed, so you'll have less stuff running in the background. There are also proggies to "clean out" your OS from temporary files and "last opened files"-lists from clogging the computer.

DavidK said:
I have a Sempron 1.8 ghz, it had 512mb Ram and I bumped it to 1 gig this weekend. If you have ever heard my stuff, its very complex and has lots of tracks.

I'm running a Sempron 3100+ with a gig of DDR 3200 and it doesn't even break a sweat on most projects. Very affordable.

soundchaser59 said:
I'm sorry but I cant believe you said this......

Anything above a 486 is perfectly fine? Are you kidding?? You actually believe that?? You are asking for headaches....

Whatever.....

I cant believe nobody has told the guy to call Adobe and ask them what is the minimum system their software will run on. Dont be surprised if they tell you some of their programs are not compatible with Athlon......and yes they will tell you which ones.

Some software makers mean it when they say "Minimum Intel Pentium IV with 256mb ram". Man, if you tell this guy to try and run XP and Audition on any old Athlon that's better than a 486, you wont be making a friend out of him.....

No other forum on the planet shocks me consistently like this one does.... :(
I just love this kind of shit. I guess I should've popped in a line that goes... 'Of COURSE a 486 (which topped out with DOS 3.3 / Windows 3.1 and only supported 640K of RAM!) is not suitable for Adobe Audition!' for all of the easily shocked legalists out there. :eek: :rolleyes:

wheelema said:
I just love this kind of shit. I guess I should've popped in a line that goes... 'Of COURSE a 486 (which topped out with DOS 3.3 / Windows 3.1 and only supported 640K of RAM!) is not suitable for Adobe Audition!' for all of the easily shocked legalists out there. :eek: :rolleyes:

No sweat, Wheelema. I got your point as intended.

Back