Mini Home Recording Studio Suggestions

harshdeep

Hi,
I am a vocalist. I record songs at home on Karaokes or on the Guitar.
Things I own:
Shure SM58 Dynamic Microphone
Phonic Mixer AM440D (Non USB)
Good Laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I use the onboard sound card.
I have noticed that whenever I record, there is a certain amount of noise(just Hiss). So I have to clean the noise using softwares but that is jus satisfactory.
Please suggest me a basic setup(not too expensive) what improvements should I make to make my recordings noise free.

Hi,
I am a vocalist. I record songs at home on Karaokes or on the Guitar.
Things I own:
Shure SM58 Dynamic Microphone
Phonic Mixer AM440D (Non USB)
Good Laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I use the onboard sound card.
I have noticed that whenever I record, there is a certain amount of noise(just Hiss). So I have to clean the noise using softwares but that is jus satisfactory.
Please suggest me a basic setup(not too expensive) what improvements should I make to make my recordings noise free.

Hey, welcome to HR!

2 words: USB interface.
The hiss that your getting is likely from using the stock soundcard in your computer or from connecting that non USB mixer to your computer. The best (and probably cheapest) way to get a clean sound to your computer is via Firewire or USB (but make sure that it's USB 2.0 or higher).

There are many good USB interfaces out there, but I personally recommend the Tascam US122L (cheap on eBay, and you can find the newer US144's cheap too), or any other similar interface. Some interfaces even come with lite versions of DAWs like Cubase, Pro Tools, etc... Which may or may not be useful to you.

Good luck, let us know if you have any more questions! :D

Back