Mic pre-amp or Condenser upgrade?

iboersma

Hi all,

I posted an issue I've been having with my Shure SM7B dynamic mic and my PreSonus Firebox interface not creating enough signal boost to get my input levels for recording voiceovers where I need them to be. Good news - some very sage people weighed in and let me know that I need to buy a pre-amp to put in between my mic and my Firebox (since the on-board pre-amps on the Firebox only boost by 45dB, which isn't enough for the low-output SM7B).

My question is: Would I be better off buying a $100 - $200 pre-amp to put in between, or would I be better off going for a condenser mic (like the Rode NTK) that has a better signal right out of the box?

If getting a pre-amp is the consensus, then what kind would be the best choice (non-rack, and in the price range mentioned above) to use for strictly VOICE tracks - no music. I've been told the ART tube pre-amp is good and affordable, but I don't want a pre-amp that's going to lend too much color to the output; I just need a boosted signal so that I can reach a good input level in my DAW.

Any help would be appreciated,

Ian

Do you like and prefer the sound of the SM7 over a condenser? If so then the preamp.

No use in buying a condenser to replace the SM7 and not have anything to power the SM7 still. Youll just have an SM7 sitting there that youll never use. Either find a way to use the SM7 or sell it to get something different. So if you prefer a condenser sound then just sell the SM7 altogether.

Danny

darnold said:
Do you like and prefer the sound of the SM7 over a condenser? If so then the preamp.

No use in buying a condenser to replace the SM7 and not have anything to power the SM7 still. Youll just have an SM7 sitting there that youll never use. Either find a way to use the SM7 or sell it to get something different. So if you prefer a condenser sound then just sell the SM7 altogether.

Danny

Danny,

I haven't yet had a chance to demo the NTK mic, but plan to later today. So - I may end up finding out it's not the solution. I guess I just want to make sure that the solution doesn't introduce any more line buzz than necessary...

BTW - Do you have any suggestions for solid mic pre-amps that would be good for voiceover work (as opposed to instrument input)? I've heard recommendations for the ART tube series, but don't know enough about the sound tube pre-amps impart to understand if these will work for what I'm doing (100% voiceover stuff).

Thanks,

Ian

It depends which ART. The little Tube MP is a crappy pre that colors too much IMO. The Tube MP V3 is a lot better, and has different settings for voice and instruments. The ART Pro Channel is supposed to be even better.

Most recommended "budget" pres on this board:

M-Audio DMP3 (2 channels, very clean, lotsa gain)
Groove Tubes Brick

I dont think preamps with cheap tubes are worth it. I think you just do alot better with cheap solid state preamps. And considering the SM7 is already pretty warm, a tube isnt a necessary component.

I probably cant give too much advice as far as pres go though. The DMP3 is well liked around here as a budget pre. I have two Studio Projects VTB1s that i like alot for voice over stuff. They have a very open kind whooly sound. Definately its own color. I like that sound for overdubs but you might not like it. But like i said, i dont have anything in that range to really compare it to. My guess is the DMP3 is cleaner and neutral. Oh and the VTB-1 has a tube control pot. So you can have all the way solid state or all the way toob and everything in between. I dont think the toob is that amazing, but mostly likely just as good as any of the cheaper ART Tube preamps.

Danny

Back