Mic and line levels on Focusrite Clarett 8pre USB

Hi everyone,

Here is my questionning:

I've got a 8 channel preamp that I love (Yamaha HA8) and I want to use it rather than the preamps of my audio interface (Clarett 8pre USB).

The problem is that the only multipair cable I have is an 8 XLR female to 8 XLR male.

And when I read the manual of the Clarett, it says:

"You should only connect microphones to the XLR Inputs. Connecting Line Level or Instrument Level signals via XLR will cause these signal to pass through the full Mic Preamp stage.
The Mic Pre is not designed to accept these levels and doing so could produce poor quality sound, distortion or in some cases damage the units."

So if I connect the 8 line outputs of my external preamps to the 8 inputs of the Clarett via XLR cables, the interface will understand that the signals will be very low whereas they will be very high.

So the question is:
Is there any solution to connect these two separate units with the XLR cables of my multipair?
Or should I definitily have to buy or build a new multipair (8 XLR female to 8 jack TRS 6.35)?

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

I mean the difference is probably only about 6db, and it certainly won’t cause damage as long as you leave the phantom power from the interface off. But yeah, XLR>TRS is the “right” answer.

Back