MBox Complications?

It's not that USB is bad for audio, it just has some limitations, mainly the number of simultaneous i/o it can support. It doesn't seem logical that Digidesign would make the Mbox capable of doing things that USB cannot support.

In my Mac, USB is a little buggy. Sometimes it hangs the machine when it wakes up from sleep mode. Firewire is much betterin that aspect.

On the other side, the MBox have just 2 inputs, so it's not a lot of bandwith in use.

You should go to the MBox forum at Digidesign , and do a search about it.

Cheers, Andrés

My friend's got an MBox on a Mac G4 and loves it ... I've used it at her house. If you know Pro Tools, it's easy. If you don't I think Pro Tools is a very logical setup and easy enough to get going with -- there will be a learning curve, sure, but I don't think it's excessive.

The USB limitation is why you can only record 2 tracks max into the MBox. It takes XLR, 1/4", and SPDIF input -- just not simultaneously. If that's not an important limitation for you, it's a pretty good deal, as it comes with recording software and usable plugins (may want to look into an outboard compressor or other compressor plugin, though).

Re: thanks for your input!

shortyc said:
this helps.

where can i hook up monitors to the mbox?

It has 2 analogue outputs (balanced or unbalanced).
They are called Line Output (TRS) 1 & 2.

then you have to amplify it or go with active monitors. It also has S/PDIF input and output, with a couple of RCA jacks. They are right above the line output.

check the picture

cordura21 said:

You should go to the MBox forum at Digidesign , and do a search about it.

Cheers, Andrés

I went to this site, and now I am curious as to how hooking up a mixer to the MBox would work. I couldn't find it in the forum, though I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

I'm wondering if there would be too much of a latency problem. Gosh, things can get so complicated when you're on a budget! But, that adds to the fun.

do you have the MBox? If so, look at the manual called "Getting Started with MBox", chapter 3. There's the answer.
If you don't have it download it from here

Cheers, Andrés

Back