Mackie 1604 & Motu 2408

Jammin321

I have posted this message before and am grateful for the couple of responses I got. However they I am still in the same boat and am still confused. This time I will include pictures so you guys can see for yourself what im dealing with because I know most of you will not have exactly the same setup.

I have a Mac Power G4. I purchased both a Mackie 1604 VLZ-Pro and a Motu 2408. I installed Digital Performer 2.7 on my Mac. Then I installed the Motu audio card. I ran the Free Midi program which came with DP (which I was told to do). In DP I confiqured the hardware driver as "MOTU PCI -324". So its obvious that DP notices that the MOTU is connected.

I have taken one mic which I want to use to record my drums. I have 8 mics but will just learn how to set this one mic up first. I put the one mic in the "mic 3 slot". I then pushed down the "L-R" grey button next to the #3 fader. I then pushed down the "main mix" button which is part of the CTL ROOM SOURCE. I then put my headphones in the phones input and proceeded to turn the "main mix" fader up aswell as the CTL ROOM PHONES volume knob up. This is what I did to get a sound out of the mic when I tapped it. Remember I am a total begginer and dont really know what the f*** im doing.....which is why im here.

What made sense to me was to run a cable from the mackie "direct out slot 3" and run it into the MOTU "analog in slot 3". From the MOTU I just run the "audio wire" into the back of the motu card in my Mac.

I then open a new project but under the level column I am getting no level at all.

I am very very confused. I bet I hooked it up completely wrong. Please tell me where I should hook cables up to. I just want to be able tobrecord from one mic at the moment. Its very hard with out a instruction manual and I don't understand the terms.

I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers.

To see pictures of my equipment please go here so you can better
understand what im talking about. The pictures will help you
alot....I hope

http://community.webshots.com/user/_jammin_

I'm not exactly sure if I'm getting this right, and I'm not sitting in front of my Mackie to look the problem over, but it seems to me that you might not be set up in the routing software for the MOTU. I'll look at my mixer when I get home and write back, but it seems like everything is hooked up right.

Also, I'm no Mac expert, nor am I very familiar with the MOTU software. But my guess is you've overlooked something there. Read your manual a little more closely.

To make sure everything is set up correctly, you might want to look at your Mackie manual. They have a great way of explaining how your system should be set up.

I know that sounds like I'm being a smart-ass, but seriously, take a better look at the manuals.

Okay, I'm home and I'm trying to figure this out. You are getting a reading on your board's meters, right?

It looks to me like you have the mixing board routed right. Although, in your pictures there's no connection from your board to the MOTU. I'll assume you do have it hooked up but it just isn't shown.

If this is the case, it is certainly a software routing issue. I really can't be of too much help with your software as each title has its own quirks, but I'm sure your MOTU manual has a "Firing up the MOTU for the first time" section...they almost all do. There is usually a trouble-shooting section as well. Try those...it's usually something silly that you just overlooked.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Let me know how it goes.

That looks right to me, too. I use a 1604 with a Delta 66 on a PC (I think I'll pick up another Delta 44 and drop my patchbay in the garbage (damn piece of Behringer junk (yes, I know, I know, you guys told me)), but that's beside the point)

That is exactly how I have mine set up (though mine is not a VLZ model, but the original)

You've got meters on the front of the MOTU right? Are they receiving signal? If so, then its a software issue. There should be a screen in the software which has routing functions. Make sure the ins and outs are set up.

I have run my cd player through input 1 on the mackie so I can get a constant sound. I get a level on the main mix meter. I can here the music to if I put some headphones on. I then ran a cable from the mackie "direct out slot 1" and run it into the MOTU "analog in slot 1". I then checked the front of the MOTU to see if the meter lit up. I does light up and shows that it is recieving the cd music from the mackie. I still have the audio wire cable that passes through my mac audio card.

However I am still getting no response from my Mac as far as a signal meter goes. I know it recognizes the audio card because it says so. It just doesn't seem to recocgnize the sound coming through the MOTU.

Please take a look at the pics again I took of Digital Performer. I lost my f***ing manual and don't know what else to do. Its looks like its setup to me.

I also:

In the PCI-324 Interface dialog box:
Set the Clock Source to "PCI-324: Internal"
Made sure "Enable Routing" is checked.
Set Bank A to "Analog".
Checked all four "Enable Input" boxes, and made sure all four Output Source
slots say "From Computer".

How do I add a Audio track (mono voice)?

Sounds like you need to enable the device you are trying to record in your audio software. I don't use the MOTU on a mac, but on a PC you have to use the MOTU console to route inputs for live monitoring to hear them as they come in. Then in DP you probaby need to pick an input device for each track, arm it, and record.

MIKE

mastahnke :

Well, I find it quite noisy... just not generally very nice. One of the sets of jacks doesn't work properly in normalled or half-normalled mode, either.

Not happy with it, much happier when it goes away...

Why don't don't you use a combination of the subouts/cr outs and direct outs into the MOTU? Do you have the Mackie owner's manual still? Check out the diagrams in the front.

I just want to let you know that there are many copies of DP circulating on the internet, (pirate copies) that were not cracked correctly, and they do not work right.

I am telling you because I had one. I was fighting with it for weeks, and finally got a different copy and realized that the problem was in the software. I went back to the old version just to make sure, and the problem remained.

and in the case you have a registeres copy, I spent 45 minutes on the phone with someone from MOTU helping me setting it up. Their CS is really good.

cheers,

basemagia

Back