Mac VST vs PC VST Plug-ins?

JohnWaynesTeeth

OK, I've tried to answer some questions in this forum because I have a good deal of practical knowledge about computers from work. However, I am now going to shoot my credibility to hell with a very ignorant question. :D

A good friend of mine is moving overseas with his family. He is going to sell me some of his recording stuff (Mackie 1202, event 20/20's, woo-hoo!) but he records on a mac and I record on PC. He has Cubase 5.0 and alot of high quality plug-ins. I use n-track.

I was thinking about seing if he would sell me the whole computer so I can have a dedicated recording PC, but the mac is a little old and I don't think I can afford it on top of the other stuff.

But, is there any difference between the Mac VST plug-ins and PC VST plug-ins? Could I take those off of his mac and use them in N-Track? I don't think I can, but I really have no idea so I thought I would ask.

Pete

nope. Unfortunately, they're not cross-platform compatible. If he's still got the CD's, there might be Windows versions on the same CD (they do that sometimes).

Have fun with the other stuff though. I wouldn't mind a set of Event 20/20's myself :D

Seanmorse79 said:
If he's still got the CD's, there might be Windows versions on the same CD (they do that sometimes).

Hmmm, that's a pretty good idea. I didn't think of that.

I'm happy to get the other stuff though. I've been looking for monitors for a while and the mackie gives me a pair of preamps to record in stereo. It's the perfect situation because it helps him out if I buy it and so my wife doesn't really mind. :D

Back