Mac: Two USB inputs

aien89

I read that to connect two USB sound sources to your MAC you need to be aware that the bit and khz are the same between the two USB sources. Do you know anything about this?

An iRig Acoustic Stage is 32bit 48khz, whereas my vocal mic, iRig Mic Studio is 24bit, 48 khz.

Will I be able to do a recording with both on 24bit, 48khz? Meaning that I record the Acoustic Stage lower than its 32 bit. Will that ruin anything?

I assume it would ruin the recording if I instead tried to record the session in 32bit as it would be too much for 24bit.

Thanks.

I read that to connect two USB sound sources to your MAC you need to be aware that the bit and khz are the same between the two USB sources. Do you know anything about this?

An iRig Acoustic Stage is 32bit 48khz, whereas my vocal mic, iRig Mic Studio is 24bit, 48 khz.

Will I be able to do a recording with both on 24bit, 48khz? Meaning that I record the Acoustic Stage lower than its 32 bit. Will that ruin anything?

I assume it would ruin the recording if I instead tried to record the session in 32bit as it would be too much for 24bit.

Thanks.
The devices have to be able to operate at the same sample rate and bit depth for them to be aggregated in a way that would be usable by your typical DAW.

Edit: BUT, you are confused by the 32-bit DSP processing mode and how the device operates as an interface. (I never heard of a 32-bit interface!). From the manual, the Stage is also 48kHz/24-bit.

USB: 1x Micro-USB B type. USB class compliant audio output (48kHz/24bit)​

Last edited:
There is at least one audio interface that is true 32 bit. Base unit (8 channels) costs just over 16.000 €.

I always thought, unless the interface supports it, that multiple interface usage is a limitation of the driver. But it seems Mac OS has some work around but it isn't using the manufacturer's driver. Do I remember this correctly?

I don't know about 'isn't using the manufacturers driver' but yes; You can combine multiple devices into an aggregate device which can then be chosen as the main input/output device.

Yes this is Mac only. Windows onboard sound drivers are technically "aggregate" but ASIO drivers aren't.

There is at least one audio interface that is true 32 bit. Base unit (8 channels) costs just over 16.000 €.

Is there indeed?! I wonder why? 24 bits gives a 144dB dynamic range which is well beyond the noise level of any analogue device. AFAICS 32 bits gives ~192dB and at the top end of that AIR would be distorted! But I guess there is a reason?

Dave.

Is there indeed?! I wonder why? 24 bits gives a 144dB dynamic range which is well beyond the noise level of any analogue device. AFAICS 32 bits gives ~192dB and at the top end of that AIR would be distorted! But I guess there is a reason?

Dave.

Marketing. Like 11 on the amplifier volume knob.

Dave.

The dynamic range is so high that mic and line level is the same input, with digital gain. Remote controlled, of course. And optional DSP opens up a lot of possibilities for measurement systems. Not for your average home recorder. The only one I ever encountered was in an Italian studio that’s big enough to fit a symphonic orchestra. They record classical music and movie sound.

Back