Mac Mini Dual Core i7 2.7 vs Mac Mini Server Quad 2.0 i7?

jamievespa

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get some opinions on the current Mac Mini offerings from Apple.

I've been using a Macbook Pro for the last two years (Mid 2010) and the C2D is starting to show its age. I've got a monitor etc that I've used with my Macbook so I skipped the iMacs for the moment to look at the Mac Mini.

If I were to go that route I've whittled it down to these two, whilst I realise the Quad i7 is going to be better in terms of multi-tasking with multi-threads etc I do like to play the occasional game (I'd play more on the computer if it was up to it), which is drawing me to the ordinary Mac Mini with the dual core i7 at 2.7GHz plus a discrete graphics card. However I feel as though I'm missing out on the extra horsepower of the server.

Anyone else been in this dilemma?

Here's the deal:

an i7 dual and an i7 quad are not going to really give you any noticeable performance difference in everyday computing. the intel hd 3000 video card isn't bad, and to be honest, there aren't many games on OSX to play anyway. The radeon vid card is a mobile card, not made for gaming. Both will have similar performance. Both cards you'll be able to play most games you want to play, unless you were going to set up a Windows partition. Then the Radeon might have the slight edge (ATI/AMD has better drivers).

Now for recording, I'd go with the quad. More roads to send the traffic down = less congestion. Max out your RAM. But that's just me.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine with either choice. Processors now are ridiculously capable enough to handle anything you throw at them.

Thanks for the fast response :)

I probably won't be touching Windows, I've been mac for two years and have everything I need. There are a fair amount of games on Steam for mac now however my friend has been playing 3D games in 1080p on his integrated graphics on a quad i5, so I should be alright. I'm very tempted to go for the MMS, considering the extra processor power and dual 7200rpm drives :)

dual drives is a great plus point.
I was considering buying one and switching the boot drive for an SSD.
That said, I believe you can buy the brackets and fit a second drive to the 2.7 also.

Personally I'd go quad core. Why not, right?

Last edited:
Back