m-audio 1010LT and m-audio BX5 monitors

UNIQNESS

I just purchased a m-audio 1010LT and m-audio BX5 monitors. I'm trying to figure out how to connect everything all together. So here are some questions:

1. Do I connect each monitor to 1010LT RCA input seperately? In other words, would I need to buy 2 seperate cables that have TRS on one end and RCA on the other? I don't think 1010LT comes with TRS inputs. I'm using one of the XLR inputs for my mic so I figured I'd have to connect the monitors to RCA inputs.

2. I researched on this site and realized that my mic (MXL 990) won't work without a phantom power supply since 1010LT does not provide enough power. If I do get the phantom power supply, how do I set the jumper setting? In the manual, it says " If you wish to connect a dynamic or ribbon microphone directly to the Delta 1010LT's XLR analog inputs 1&2, then leave the jumpers set to their default setting, +4dBu. If you wish to connect the XLR analog inputs 1&2 to the output of a balanced +4dBu device such as pre amp or dynamics processor, you will need to change the jumper setting." Is phantom power supply considered as a pre amp? How exactly would I need to set up the two jumpers to make my MXL 990 work?

3. The two XLR inputs are colored white and red. Does that mean I have to get a Y cable for my microphone if I want to record for both sides of sound?

Before I install anything, I'm going to wait until I get enough replies for these questions. Thanks in advance! :)

1. Do I connect each monitor to 1010LT RCA input seperately? In other words, would I need to buy 2 seperate cables that have TRS on one end and RCA on the other? I don't think 1010LT comes with TRS inputs. I'm using one of the XLR inputs for my mic so I figured I'd have to connect the monitors to RCA inputs.

Yes you do. Get 2 rca to 1/4" cables.. that should do 'er nicely. i'm pretty sure those speakers have 1/4" in. also, they don't need to be TRS, the audio outputs are all unbalanced (TS)

edit: make sure your speakers are hooked up to audio out 1 and 2. those are rca outputs. it's in your manual.

2. I researched on this site and realized that my mic (MXL 990) won't work without a phantom power supply since 1010LT does not provide enough power. If I do get the phantom power supply, how do I set the jumper setting? In the manual, it says " If you wish to connect a dynamic or ribbon microphone directly to the Delta 1010LT's XLR analog inputs 1&2, then leave the jumpers set to their default setting, +4dBu. If you wish to connect the XLR analog inputs 1&2 to the output of a balanced +4dBu device such as pre amp or dynamics processor, you will need to change the jumper setting." Is phantom power supply considered as a pre amp? How exactly would I need to set up the two jumpers to make my MXL 990 work?

you need a different preamp to make it work. channels 1 and 2 don't supply phantom power regardless of the jumper settings. then you can use inputs 3 and 4 (if you get a 2 channel preamp, like the maudio audiobuddy or the dmp3)

3. The two XLR inputs are colored white and red. Does that mean I have to get a Y cable for my microphone if I want to record for both sides of sound?

Nope. 1 mic goes into 1 xlr input.

Before I install anything, I'm going to wait until I get enough replies for these questions. Thanks in advance! :)

shiatzu, thank you so much for your answers.

as for #2, I asked how I should set up the jumpers so I can get the microphone to work with a phantom power supply. I do know that my mic will never work without a phantom power supply no matter how I set up the jumpers. I'd appreciate if you could tell me this.

What did you mean by "you can use channel 3 and 4"? I'm planning to use one of the XLR inputs for my mic. Aren't those channels for RCA inputs?

Thanks! :)

UNIQNESS said:
shiatzu, thank you so much for your answers.

as for #2, I asked how I should set up the jumpers so I can get the microphone to work with a phantom power supply. I do know that my mic will never work without a phantom power supply no matter how I set up the jumpers. I'd appreciate if you could tell me this.

What did you mean by "you can use channel 3 and 4"? I'm planning to use one of the XLR inputs for my mic. Aren't those channels for RCA inputs?

Thanks! :)

ok, here we go.

#2. set up your jumpers to line-level, the manual will tell you how to do this.

for the second part of your question: the 1010, obviously, has 10 inputs. 2 of which are xlr, the rest are rca. the way i've got mine set up is as follows:

mxl990 (or any phantom powered mic) into a DMP3 (which is a preamp, it will get your mic signal up to "line level" as well as providing phantom power) then 1/4" out (from the DMP3) into the 3rd input (the first "rca" channel input") of the 1010lt.

simplified even further, just plug your preamp (which you need) into any of the 1010lt's inputs.. they'll all work, i just like to start with the 3rd channel and add all my sources in order (it makes tracking easier when you know what input channel is attached to what instrument). i don't bother using the two xlr inputs, though.

hope that clarifies things somewhat.

Rob

shiatzu said:
ok, here we go.

#2. set up your jumpers to line-level, the manual will tell you how to do this.

for the second part of your question: the 1010, obviously, has 10 inputs. 2 of which are xlr, the rest are rca. the way i've got mine set up is as follows:

mxl990 (or any phantom powered mic) into a DMP3 (which is a preamp, it will get your mic signal up to "line level" as well as providing phantom power) then 1/4" out (from the DMP3) into the 3rd input (the first "rca" channel input") of the 1010lt.

simplified even further, just plug your preamp (which you need) into any of the 1010lt's inputs.. they'll all work, i just like to start with the 3rd channel and add all my sources in order (it makes tracking easier when you know what input channel is attached to what instrument). i don't bother using the two xlr inputs, though.

hope that clarifies things somewhat.

Rob
Thank you so much for your help. I can now understand everything you said. Just a question, do I really need to get an external mic pre-amp? I was thinking about using the preamps integrated in 1010LT and just connect a phantom power supply to the first XLR input. I read that the on-board pre-amp quality might not be as good as an external one, but I'm very tight on budget and would like to use what I already have if the quality isn't significantly bad. (I will probably upgrade with an external one in the future tho) If I just decide to connect a phantom power supply, will I need to change the jumper setting? no right?

again, thank you so much for your help. :)

get an maudio audiobuddy. it's a 2 channel preamp with phantom power. it's like 100 bucks canadian. cheap as hell and surprisingly decent.

oh, and regarding the jumper setting: just leave it on the lower-input jumper and if you're not getting enough gain then bump it up to the higher level setting.

Back