Low synth output

I’ve never heard of a snyth being too low
Actually many models of hardware synth are low in the sense that they are outputting an instrument-level signal or a line-level signal that's weaker than what other equipment puts out, so when people complain about them being low that's what they mean.

The remedy however is no different than what you already do when you plug mics, guitars and other instruments into the mixer: you crank up the volume on the synth, you plug the synth into the mixer and you turn up the channel's gain until it registers the signal. Then you adjust the channel's fader.

If the mixer doesn't have a gain for the line in, then you need to plug the synth into a DI box and the DI box in to the mixer's preamp, and adjust the channel's gain so that it registers the signal.

If you don't have extra preamp slots on the mixer, then plug the DI box into a dedicated preamp like the Radial PZ-pre, and plug the preamp into any line level input jack on the mixer.

Yer "common or garden" synth is likely to employ only a 5 volt* single rail giving an absolute maximum rms output of about 1.7V (+4.6dBV) using the best 'rail to rail' opamps but do they? They COULD use two op amps and give you +10.6dBV but that is not seen in practice methinks?

Grander, more expensive "Stage Synths" will have higher internal supplies and thus close to studio operating levels of +4dBu and a 20dB headroom on top.

Since the output resistance of even the cheapest synth is likely very low, <200 Ohms you could use a small 1:4 transformer and get another 12dB or so into a 10K+ line input.

*Even if the wall rat supply is 9V it will be regulated down to 5V.

Dave.

I looked up every synth I've had/got to see and not one has an output level mentioned in the spec. I'm guessing 300mV would be about full, based on gains.

Back