Looking for a soundcard that records multi-track to computer

Well I just found out that I have a chance to get a Mackie 1604 VLZ, but not a pro, for the same price I'd be picking up a 1402 VLZ pro. The guy told me that the only difference is there's a different type of xlr preamps used for the older one. Anyone know that difference?

I looked at the description for the 1402 and it doesn't say '8 direst outputs' or anything.. Anyone know anymore about the 1402s?

Christopher

Let me know...

Greetings,

Let me in on the thought process of Aardvark vs Mackie+D1010.

What are the A/D converter numbers for them both? 118dB and 112dB or something.

Looks like 1000$ for the Mackie+D1010 and 700$ for the Aard.

Is there something that I don't know about what you get for the extra 300$?

I could see the easy of a physical mixer for setting levels and stuff, but during recording its probobly better to set them and leave them at optimal levels so you wouldn't be fiddling with imput levels alot anyways

Just flesh out you decision making process for getting 8 tracks...

SirRiff

That's a good question. If I can do all of the mixing on the computer, etc, why should I pick up a mackie mixer and a delta when I can just get the aardvark q10?

If I want eight pres and phantom power, wouldn't it just be less painful to get the q10?

Christopher

Apparently, if you've read quite a few of the posts on this board, the q10 is a great setup. The only problem is it's poor drivers. Do a search, you'll find it all.

As well, a compact mixer is great to have if you plan to start doing gigs.

with the New VLZ Pro's.. they have the new XDR preamps. While they're nothing to write home about, they are a touch better than their original ones. Search this BBS, read the reviews.

1402's have 6 channel inserts... you could use those... otherwise, opt for that 1604. 8 direct outs, 16 channel inserts...

Or hell, spring for a MOTU 896 or something.

Ok i see the 1402 is $550 new. BUY USED! eBay has 1604VLZ for that much used, you will get 4 busses (makes it easier to run a headphone mix and a master bix to monitors, and another grouping.), 8 direct outs so you can have the first 8 channels going straight into your delta 1010. Its really a no brainer. You will be kicking yourself if you don't have good routing. Also for $500 Spirit by Soundcraft has a M range of mixers. The 8 channel mixer will have 8 direct outs. eBay is great for used stuff, don't over pay though. Check our www.harmony-central.com as well.

Chris,

If you want to go directly in and out of the preamp, you do it through what's called the "chanel inserts," and they're located on the back of their mixers.

These are typically used as a means of sending each individual channel out to an effects processor. Or as a means of using the preamps and recording to your sound card, as you are contemplating.

Mackie's preamps are all very useful. To tell you the truth, I've owned both an older model and the newer one, and I can't hear a difference between the two. My theory is that Mackie really just performed a few minor tweaks on them, and used that as an excuse to remarket their mixers and give everyone a reason to run out and buy the new models.

The whole "xdr" thing sounds a lot like Mackie marketing hype if you ask me. At least they do back it up with a good product.

Okay, so if the choice is between:

Aardvark Q10

and the combination of

Mackie Mixer and Delta 1010

I'm seeing more people leaning towards the mixer + delta, just for the extra flexibility?

Any final words before I start saving up money?

Christopher

Keep in mind that Delta 1010's and Mackie Boards are like God and Jesus to a lot of people around here, so opinions are going to be somewhat slanted in that direction.

But the Aardvark does appear to be loaded, though. Tough decision. When it comes right down to it, though, your two most important features will be the a/d converters and the mic preamps. These will have the greatest effect on your sound quality. And it seems that, as far as budget gear goes, the Delta's have the goods in terms of the a/d conversion, and the Mackies have the goods in terms of preamps.

But I've also heard the aardvark isn't too shabby in those departments, either. Flip a coin. I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

Mackie 1402

Chris,
Just saw your question.

1. FYI, I just bought a brand new Mackie 1402 VLZ pro for $399 at Mars Music in Calif. Check it out where you are.

2. You may want to look into a question I posted "Please recommend a mixer for a starter " under Mixing/Mastering forum There is info on how to get multi channel outs. I am now studying the manual on 1402 and it looks like I should be able to get as many as 10 outs- 6 inserts+ 2Alt+2 Aux. Have'nt tried it yet.

Good luck!

Ok, I use the Q-10 and the driver issues with it are XP. If you don't use XP then you shouldn't have driver issues. They do have drivers, but they're in beta test stage. They've also announced a breakthrough in latency of 3-5 ms.

Well I'm saving up money right now, and I'll buy piece by piece as I go..

Right now my current plan is:

Mackie 1604 VLZ

+

Delta 1010

If anyone has anything else to contribute, I'm here to listen.

Christopher

Chris,

I find myself in the same dilemma as yourself. I've also considered the Q10 vs. the mixer/D1010 combo. I'm leaning towards the mixer/D1010 because I foresee needing the mixer for 'live' use. If I knew I'd never play in a 'live' situation, then I'd probably go the Q10 route (personally speaking only).

As far as mixers, you might also look at the already mentioned Soundcraft Spirit M series. I've looked at both the Mackie & Soundcraft and locally for me, the Soundcraft seems to be the better deal.

Mackie 1402VLZ - $530-550 w/6 channels/pres
SC Spirit M8 - $599 w/8 channels/pres

A step up to the Spirit M12 (12 channels) is only $100 more.
Four more channels/pres for $25 each over the M8 ain't to bad.

BTW, these are new prices & what I've found locally. But you might check your area & compare pricing with the Soundcraft. From what I've read, they seem to be right in line with Mackie. Of course if you find a good used deal with the Mackie 1604, then you couldn't go wrong there.

What about the C-Port? I'm looking at it right now and it's actually cheaper then the aardvark or the delta. Anybody know anything about this card? Looks like it has phantom power, 96/24, and a lot of other random crap I'd probably never use.

Another one I see is the Unicorn 2408 mk II. Looks about the same, but is more expensive then all of the others..

Also, can someone give me more info on the Soundcraft mixers? I've never even heard of these before, it's always been 'mackie mackie mackie.' Information, please. :)

Christopher

Back