looking into a laptop

jjm213213

I have a TASCAM US-122 soundcard and am looking into getting a laptop for music recording. Iam wondering what are the minimum requirements I should be looking at when making a purchase. I have a 200 gb external harddrive that I'll be using with that as well as a 512 memory card to upgrade if needed. What are some different things I need to be aware of when getting a laptop for recording? thank you
jacob

Firstly is there a reason why you want to go with a laptop over a desktop?

Of course I don't have any knowledge as to your setup, as well as what kind of music you make. Different styles of music require different gear. But as far as what you should look for in a computer, you should look for one that has the capability to do what you want it to do. Fast processor, lots of ram, bighd, firewire/usb ports (I personal prefer firewire).

Look at Sagers if you want to run Windows (PC)
Also this might be out of your buget but cheak this out
MusicXPC.

If you are thinking about Mac, obviously the Powerbook is the way to go.

Laptop users looking for higher quality output should take a look at the Echo Indigo, a CardBus 24/96 (24bit/96kHz) audio output adapter for laptops - it has a built-in audiophile quality headphone amplifier (with two outputs) and is only US$99. There's an in-depth review at www.geek.com. It's compatible with Windows and Mac OS X.

Have you got a certain price limit, what are we talking?
What software have you been looking at?

Also theres a book called Laptop Music, you might want to cheak out for further reading.

Good luck

I've been using a laptop for my primary recording rig for a little over a year now. My focus is to have the portability to record live shows and demos for local bands, as well as record our jam sessions and shows. That said, I started with a Pentium IV 2.8 ghz with 1gb RAM and an 80gb 7200 rpm HD. This was fine, but it was loud as piss when you were recording in the same room. I accidentally fried the Motherboard in it when I was doing some work on it...so it was time to upgrade. As of me righting this, there have been numerous tests done and the processor getting the highest marks on audio production in a laptop is the Pentium M, Sonoma, with 533mhz FSB.

There is a guy at www.adkproaudio.com that has overclocked a PentM 740 (1.73) to be keeping up with a dual Xeon processor system running the Thonex Nuendo test. That's very impressive. So here's what I would look for if I were you. There are tons of specials going on right now. Look for:

Pentium M 740 (1.73 ghz, 533 FSB)
512 DDR 533mhz RAM- atleast, better with 1gb
60 gb 7200 rpm HD- do not skimp, go with the 7200 speed
atleast 128mb DEDICATED video memory, NOT SHARED!
Make sure you have either USB 2.0 ports and/or a Firewire port (1394)

Beyond that, the rest is your choice, but that is what you are going to be the best using.

Now, I was going to buy my next music laptop from James at www.adkproaudio.com. Probably the 7000s, that's the one that is the beast right now. However, that laptop is $2000, just a bit out of my price range right now.

Dell is currently running a 40% off special for their Inspiron laptops and I just ordered the 9300 with the configuration below:

PentM 740 (1.73, 533FSB)
1gb DDR, 533mhz RAM
60 gb 7200 rpm HD
256mb Geforce 6800
8x DVD R/W
Wireless and extras
3 yr Complete Coverage with Accidental damage

All for $1500 before tax. Now that my friend is a deal. This is with a 17" WXGA display, rock solid build and good reviews all around.

Here's the link to where you can find the coupons:

Notebook Forums Deals

Good luck and happy shopping!

Jonathan

Does that 7200rpm HD make the computer much louder? I am debating whether or not I want to get the faster HD myself.

Not sure if you are still posting so anyone feel free to answer..

jabulani jonny said:
There is a guy at www.adkproaudio.com that has overclocked a PentM 740 (1.73) to be keeping up with a dual Xeon processor system running the Thonex Nuendo test. That's very impressive. So here's what I would look for if I were you. There are tons of specials going on right now. Look for:

Pentium M 740 (1.73 ghz, 533 FSB)
512 DDR 533mhz RAM- atleast, better with 1gb
60 gb 7200 rpm HD- do not skimp, go with the 7200 speed
atleast 128mb DEDICATED video memory, NOT SHARED!
Make sure you have either USB 2.0 ports and/or a Firewire port (1394)
This is basically what i'm probably going to be getting.

didn't know the thing about the memory NOT being shared though. thx

What is a firewire port? how do i known if i'll have one?

im on an inspiron now and it has barely any ports..

Yeah make sure you get firewire AND USB ports. The firewire will be in the spec as an IEEE1394 port.

Also remember a 7200 HD will chug through your battery twice as fast as a 4200 drive. My 4200 drive handles 8 tracks no probs. 5400 would be plenty and still give you reasonable battery life

Bulls Hit said:
Yeah make sure you get firewire AND USB ports. The firewire will be in the spec as an IEEE1394 port.
:confused: Does it say IEEE1394 by the port?

What exactly does one need firewire port for?

Also, why are people always talking about battery life on this board- can't you record with your laptop plugged in? :o

Back