Logic Express vs. Soundtrack Pro?

Unsprung

Which of these two is the better entry level application, for somebody that's planning to buy a 20" iMac G5 at some point this year? If I had my druthers, I'd be going for an iMac G5 and Logic Pro, but I'll be taking a huge leap going for the iMac G5 and I'm still collecting guitars/effects, and want to get going with recording as soon as possible, sometime this year.

Matt in Indiana

Stealthtech said:
I can recommend Logic in preperation for an upgrade to Logic Pro.

Yup...that one was SO simple, I completely missed it...DUH! But, at least I asked anyway, and now I know. :)

Is there any irony, however, that I failed to see that logic, when asking a question concerning an application called Logic? :p

Matt in Indiana

Yeah, I'm not really sure how much Soundtrack differs from Logic--I always assume it was geared more towards video than music engineering, though it looks like it certainly could be.

Alexbt said:
Yeah, I'm not really sure how much Soundtrack differs from Logic--I always assume it was geared more towards video than music engineering, though it looks like it certainly could be.

I -think- SoundTrack is designed primarily for looping and creating music from preexisting loops, kind of like GarageBand with the addition of a large collection of music pre-licensed.

If you're planning to do recording, IMHO, the real choice is between Logic/Logic Express and MOTU Digital Performer. Personally, I use the latter. A lot of folks use the former. Either one is a solid choice, IMHO, but DP has competitive upgrades. :D

Back