LOGIC AUDIO Question!!!!!!!!!!!

pisces7378

Yup, It's me again.

Ok here is what I have done step by step.

Logic Audio Platinum 4.7

I run the <MIDI-Out> of my Evolution Keyboard Controller into the <MIDI-IN-A> of the 2x2 M.interface. Then the <OUT-B> of the interface into the <IN> on my Roland JV 1010 sound module. Then I run the <OUT> from the Roland JV 1010 into the <IN-B> of the 2x2 interface, and the USB is conected to the back of the computer, into the USB port on the right hand side (if you are facing the back of the computer.) I see that the MIDI information IS reaching the computer because when I press a key the TRANSPORT BAR regesters the note etc.... so the information IS getting into the computer.

I bought a book from Stephen Bennett called "Making Music with Audio Logic". It is supposed to be a great guide to replace (work with) the MAMOUTH bible that this program came with. And in that book it said that I shoudl first delete all the objects in the ENVIRONMENT and start from scratch. I did that and the guy at the record store laughed at me and said WHY DID YOU DO THAT??? But I created a Multi-instrument object and clicked on each of the 16 buttons to activate them. Then I created an interface object and "CABELED the MULTI-INSTRUMENT into the new Interfce object." I gave the multi-inst. a name (Roland JV 1010).

Then it went on to talk about entering the patches into the computer so that the Logic Audio can work with and controll the patches and banks of the JV 1010. I was thrilled when it said that I did not have to physically type in 1,200 patch names. Instead I could just COPY ALL and paste them into the blank banks. SO I went through the pre set patch lists in Logic and there was NO JV 1010. There was a JV 1080 under ROLAND J Series. And then the book mentions that I should see how to configure the BANKS by consulting the manual of my JV 1010. Well that thing is written for a kindergartener and doesn't mention a damn thing about banks and working with Logic Audio. To make a long story shorter..... I did everything THIS book said and when it said... now watch the patch window on your sound module for the changes as you select diffrent sounds in the Logic Audio program. Well when i did it.... NOTHING changed in my Roland window. And I STILL hear nothing through my head phones that are plugged into the PHONES JACK of the Roland. So I have a few questions that no one has been able to answer YET....

1. Is my USB plugged into USB-A or USB-B? It is plugged in on the RIGHT hand side of the two little USB jacks. (Right side if you are looking at the computer)

2. Do I have to have the Roland JV 1010 in PERFORM mode? Or patch mode? And remember I am TRYING desperately to get a MIDi Click metronome. HOW DO I GET A DAMN METRONOME CLICK IN MY HEAD PHONES???

3. Is my set up plugged in right?

4. I went back and re-installed LOGIC so that it would go back to the default settings to correct the deletings that I did. But now the Multi-inst object is gone and all I see is a Multi-Inst. object that says "GM DEVICE" with the DRUMS MAPPED cabeled into the GM Device. I could go back and do what I did before but that didn't de me any good. So HOW DO I GET TO AT LEAST HEAR SOMETHING?

5. Is the JV 1080 the same as the 1010? Can I use those pre set patches to paste as if they were 1010 patches?

6. Does anyone know how which setting I need to put in the right hand side for BANKS. It usually says something about 32. Is that right?

Anyway, I will stop for now. I am about to vomit just thinking about it <smile>.

Thanks in advance to any brave and tender soul that will help me tackle this monster.

Really Thanks guys,
Mike

Chickens!!!!!!!!!!!

8 views and not one of ya man enough to tackle the E-magic monster.

Where are the balls?

Just kidding

scanning through it, I can only say,

WHy don't you download a fully functional jv1010 environment off the net. I did, and it works fine.

I'll reread the rest of the post and see if I can help with anything else.

Where?

Where can I download a perfect jv 1010 / Midi-sport 2x2 interfece, ENVIRONMENT for Logic Audio Platinum 4.6? I would Love to know. I have looked and looked for two days.

Thanks,
mike

There's too much in your setup that is foregn to me for me to give specific answers. Not to mention I'm sort of a novice myself.

1) Look for signs of life. If you can recieve MIDI info from the keyboard, like when you hit a key and see it record it, then the connection from that device to the MIDI box is good and so is the USB connection to the computer. That a big chunk so at least your part wey there.

2) Patch names are a convience and are not needed for things to function. you can make patch changes by number without them. Stick to patches in bank 0 till you've got things mostly working.

3) Your first order to business is to make sure things are connected OK. If your MIDI box has any software for diagnostice or any way to send notes out without Logic do that first to see that you can talk from the computer the sound module. If you can cyt logic out of the picture to verify connections then you'll jave one less variable to worry about.

4) If you can't do that then you should try to play something to the sound module if possible. Just get some notes somehow into a track, then try to set the patch number and volume in the sound module by hand. Then you need to direct the track to the channel you've set up at the sound module, which you may be able to do using the box at the left side of the screen,

5) If your MIDI box has patcher functions that can make things confusing. I've never had any luck figuring out how patcher functions interact with Logic trying to route MIDI data. I usualy just turn off all patcher routing when I want to use logic. On the other hand you may be able to set up the patcher to route MIDI data from your ketboard to the sound module and totaly bypass Logic which would be a good wat to verify you have it all wired yup right,

6) Typicaly USB A and B are interchangalbe. It doesnt matter which one you used they both do the same thing. If your receiving notes then you have it connected right and your driver is installed properly. If you want to verify that your computer can see your MIDI box then you may be able to see the MIDI devices come and go as plug in the USBcable and remove it again. Although that dpends on how the driver works.

7) Don't even think about metonomes till you can play notes in Logic setting up a metronome is a bit nmore advanced a subject.

8) Like any problem the trick is to break it down and see if you can come up with clever ways of making sure A works before moving on to B. first worry about basic connections, then envornment then metronome

Thanks

Thanks a lot for all the help guys,

Keep it coming. I still don't hear a damn thing. And I still don't know where to get an environment for the JV 1010 - 2x2 Midisport.

THanks guys,
Mike

Back