Logic Audio 5.0 midi instrument use.

ambi

Hey i need to figure out how to use the midi instruments in logic for a track i'm doing.

I want to use one of the instruments that is down the left in that list in the arrange window. They have grand piano, fingered bass, etc.. all those different built in instruments. Now i can get it so my midi keyboard plays with the sounds if i click on it, and i can record the midi lines and it plays back fine on the midi instrument track. But as soon as i move it from the midi synth track to one of the audio instrument tracks i can't get any sound.

Cause if i leave the keyboard stuff on the actual instrument track i can't do anything with it. It doesn't have a buss in the mixer window so i can change volume/panning and i can't add effects or anything. How can i make it so it's on a track so i can actually use it?

Also when it is left on the midi instrument channel, IE, the fingered bass synth, it quantizes funny. What sup with that? How do i get it onto a regular audio instrument track so that i can mix it in the song, but also keep the fingered bass sound?

Sorry that doesn't make much sense i don't really understand this.

in order to get the audio from your synth into an audio track you have to run the audio out from the synth into your soundcard. then in logic, select an audio track and select the input that the synth is on. set that audio track to 'record' and then hit play.
as the midi track plays the synth, the audio from the synth will be recorded onto the audio track.

i hope that is clear enough. . . . basically the midi on a midi track is just note information, telling your synth what to play. so if you move it to an audio track, you will here nothing because the audio track doesn't read it. you have to get the audio from the synth into logic . . . by recording through an audio track.

as far as the quantizing problem you have i don't really know what you mean. . . maybe the quantize setting is set to something odd. . . but i think it defaults to no quantization. i'll leave that question for someone else.

hope i've helped!

Yes you have helped!

So i can't just bounce it and re-load the wave track?

Is that what you mean by putting out output of the soundcard back into the input and playing and recording at the same time? Would it record as a wave file? Also i'm using a crappy SB live right now, would this work with this card?

i don't mean the output of the soundcard back into the input of the soundcard - i mean from the output of synth to the input of the soundcard.

so you would be play and recording at the same time. (playing the midi track, and recording the audio from the synth)

Aahh, ok. Well how would i configure this? Sorry i'm new to working with Midi in Logic.

I would click on the synth sound that is built into logic, say, fingered bass. And i can play and i hear the fingered bass, or i can record and then play back and i hear the fingered bass, but as you said if i move it to an audio instrument track i hear nothing.

So i have to set the audio instrument track to record not from the soundcards inputs, but record from the midi soure? And then play the midi and it will be recorded?

Im not so sure you guys are on the same page.
You cannot use an audio instrument track unless you have a virtual instrument, like the ES!, ES2, or EXS24.
If your sampling instruments from your souncards sondfonts triggered via your midi keyboard, it needs to stay on the designated midi intrument track. You can add effects to it through the mixer if you go to the mixer in the flip down menu{not by DB clicking} Now there is a chance you can bounce the midi track to disc by using the bounce feature on the main mixer, but you will need to set the start and end points manually. I've never tried it with an SB but this works for EXS24.
Now what I think XX is talking about is if your using your keyboard as the midi playback device then you would route your keyboard outs to the input of your soundcard to record an audio track.

Yea i'm not talking about using those synths, or PRO 52 or anything like. I mean the midi instruments built into logic audio like the grand piano, and fingered bass, and what not. In the row of tracks and audio instruments on the left hand side of the arrange window. where you sequence your tracks.. at the bottom they have all the instruments. I click on one and i can play the midi keyboard and record using those sounds. But they seem to be stuck on the instrument, i can't just move the midi notes up onto an audio instrument and mess with it. If i leave it below on the logic audio synth instrument it doesn't get a channel strip in the mixer window, so i can't add effects or anything, although i did find a seperate mixer just for the logic synth sounds, but you can't add say, waves q10 eq, only panning and volume and stuff.

So maybe the best idea is bouncing it and loading into a regular track?

The synths you are playing are not built in to Logic, they are the sounds from your soundcard. And your right, you cannot use plug ins because they are midi tracks. Before you can use plugs you have to convert them to audio tracks. And once again, Audio Instruments are only used with Software sampler instruments{only}.

Ok new problem. You CANT bounce midi tracks.
What i did is i played it in logic to the song, then i was going to copy it to a new project, and bounce it all by it's self, so i could load the wave back into the song and mix.
But you can't bounce midi tracks, if you click the bounce button nothing happens, i guess it doesn't register the midi track and things that the song is empty. ALSO if you can trick it to bounce with some random sounds, nothing is recorded into the bounced wave file from the midi.

Another problem i forgot about... So what now?

Back