Linux || Mac || PC

downatone

I'm wondering if someone would be able to throw a few links my way (or if you feel so inspired to write up a response yourself), to inform me of the advantages/disadvantages of creating music on these specific platforms...(Linux, MAC, PC)?

Thanks in advance for your time.

just search thru the back threads on this bbs. lots of discussions.
for linux look at ardour and muse and audacity.
my personal bias for music making hardware processor wise is amd 64.
cant be beat imho. (read some of the back threads).
i'm saving up for an RME sound solution hung off my current amd system running powertracks multitrack software.
this is my only comment. because ive seen too many "my dads bigger than your dad escalations" on this topic. i'm also a computer engr.
and youll find many of us dont bother responding because of platform wars.

I had a real good browse (made much easier by the all wonderful search function) through almost all related threads - and none directly answered my specific question.

I was looking, straight up, for the simple pros/cons of all 3 os's.
I found threads giving pros (as I call 'personal harping') of their favourite OS - but there are no objective posts that take a relative look at all three and their pros & cons.
Any further direction...?
Or maybe we can start one right now:
[taken from posts I have read]

MAC (Pro): Overall ease of use. More consistent, and more attractive, user interfaces. QuickTime, with its built-in General MIDI synth. ColorSync. MIDI support from the early days of MIDI.
MAC (Con): Cost

PC (Pro): Huge software library for recording
PC (Con): IRQ conflicts, Plug & Play Issues

*UNIX (Pro): Open-source = free
*UNIX (Con): Lack of qualified/proven apps, poor audio/recording support

You are not comparing OS'es, but a mix of hardware and OS. What you call PC is in fact i386 hardware running windows, and what you call mac is nothing else than ppc hardware running osx. What is *nix for you? Linux running on i386 probably. But there is nothing stopping you from running linux on apple hardware.

Just some random toughts:
- there is not much difference in ease of use between osx and windows. Linux is not much harder, but for now it is.
- who cares about looks? For me the question is: does it what I want to do in a way I find easy and logical and is the result what I wanted for the price I can pay?
- cost: the cost of the hardware will be comparable for all 3 solutions, maybe a bit less for i386 hardware, but since there is more choice, you can just as well spend more. Software is harder to compare as I have no idea about the price of osx and its applications. Linux is free and can run on i386 and ppc. But the price of a windows copy is peanuts compared to a full blown daw. And you can run a lot of free (or very cheap) apps on windows. And if you get a mac, then the same will be true I guess.
- as for hardware issues, you will find that those are there both sides of the fence. Both i386 and ppc support pci, usb, firewire etc etc. Windows supports almost everything. Osx not much less. Linux can be problematic specially with audio gear, but the situation is not as dramatic as you think. Only things I would avoid are cards with dsp's onboard (except rme). This is more an issue of doing your homework! If you have hardware you really want to be suported, then let that be your guide and the other way round, if you really want a specific application, then choose your os and hardware accordingly. Google is your friend.
- software. If you want "proven" software, or compatibility is needed, then chose your os/apps in function of that. Otherwise, spend some time searching for the apps you need and try them out. As an example: if you really want to use logic go with osx. I work on my own and went with linux, I'm 100% compatible with myself. If you will have client around that need PT, the linux is out of the question.

What you try to do here is really without much use. You got to make for yourself a little list of what you absolutly need/want and make your decision based on that.

Back