Linux DAW

Maybe in 5 more years an Linux application will evlove enough to have a suitable multi track recorder/editor/mixer. The problem with Ardour is that there is little financial benefit to get it up and running quickly. I have been reading about it for 3 years now, and it is still a long ways off from being "ready" for serious usage.

Ed

First release is comeing. It is not that difficult either. Even I managed it and it was the first linux experience I had apart from installing the lot. If you want to play with it, go to myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html and follow the instructions.

What is this sudden interest in Linux? For years there was nothing, now several posts in a couple of weeks.

Linux is very appealing, because of its lower cost and apparent stability.

But I've checked it out, and I really wouldn't want to deal with compiling Ardour and the JACK stuff.

I am a network/hardware guy, not a programmer.

Hopefully someday the need to compile will change, as it has with some of the distros themselves, like Red Hat.

I've heard that kernel 2.6 has audio and multimedia in general more integrated. I think it was in this month's Linux Journal.

I've used it several months ago. Screw it...
I mean, I'm a musician/engineer. Compile & installing these things is rather way too complicated for me. When will they think of something handy & easy to install/work. I don't hate it. Just confuse about it. Stick with Windows for audio work.

;)
Jaymz

It's really sad...I have run Mandrake for years for my biz computer but even just for that the sound is "if'e". I am running the Turn Key Linux Audio package on Mandrake 9.0, and even tho I like it, it is still quicker to use good'ol PT or Cakewalk on windows. Maybe someday they will get it up to speed, but hey, it's all done by people all over the world who love to code and give all there work back to the Linux community, and I think that for what they have done it is a fantastic OS. My 2 cents....

Back