Line inputs? What do they do?

Delmont

I'm thinking of getting the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre.

It's blurb says it has "four variable line inputs." What does that mean? What do they do? How do they work? What do you need to use them? Can you hear them when recording?

Thanks!

Del

You have a range of input possibilities with the Focusrite.

There are four combo inputs on the front, so you can plug in four mikes. The first two inputs can also act as instrument inputs, so you can plug in a guitar. The second two are line inputs, so you can plug in, say, a synth. On the back are four additional line inputs which you can use for anything that has a line level output, e.g. a CD payer, more synths, or line ouptuts from a separate mixer.

All of these inputs are sent via USB to the computer, and in your DAW you can record all inputs on separare tracks, and yes, hear them when recording.,

If you have a stand alone Mic preamp, the output would connect to the line input. Also if you mix with outboard gear, that would also feed back into the line inputs.
mic inputs have a lot more volume than line inputs.

Aha! So instruments and mics can go into a mixer that's plugged into the line inputs?
Absolutely! Or a keyboard, drum machine or any source that is well above 'mic level' and can be balanced or unbalanced.
Usually on AIs such as my KA6, these extra line inputs are at a fixed gain and this varies quite a lot from AI to AI. The "variable gain" quoted for the Claret will I assume be adjusted in the Mix Control software.

Dave

Back