Lexicon Omega or ????

nailzscott

I have been reading info in this forum for a few weeks and think I'm ready to buy something, but wanted some opinions first.

I play with a church group and have had requests to record the music. I have done some simple "one track at a time" recording with Magic software which I found to be pretty easy - record the sound track, then record the vocal, and mix down.

Now I would like the functionality to record multiple tracks, probably up to six, and work with the mix later. I want to use my Thinkpad T41P all the toys except firewire. And I also want the option of using the AMD (2800) I built for the church. Both pc's have plenty of Ram and Hard disk. That seems to me that I have the option of using USB type boxes for both computers, or buy a Firewire card for the laptop, and power it externally, since I understand that most PCMCIA firewire cards do not supply the power pins.

The church has a Soundcraft 16 channel mixer with (I believe and will be checking) direct out capability.

I am leaning toward the Omega Lexicon. I understand that it can only send 4 channels to the software at one time, and I think I can deal with that. My original intent would be to send up to six instruments (some mic'd) through the 4 channels and then be able to add vocals at a later time.

Can you correct me where I might be off based on my assumptions and/or recommend a different direction. I would like to stay $400 to $500, including software.

Also, would the Edirol FA101 do what I want. Unfortunately, that puts me out of my price range a little, by needing software and the firewire card for the laptop.

Thanks

I have been using the Presonus Firebox with a pcmcia card in my laptop with great results. I will give you 4in and 4out. I comes with Cubase LE which is a watered down version of Cubase but it is very functional and can be upgraded. The Firebox was $399.

EdWonBass,
Thanks. I was leading toward the Lexicon since it has more inputs.

Where are all those opinions I was hoping to get from this posting?

nailzscott said:
EdWonBass,
Thanks. I was leading toward the Lexicon since it has more inputs.

Where are all those opinions I was hoping to get from this posting?

I only mentioned the Firebox because it, AFAIK has the same amount of inputs(4) as the Lexicon, is also in the $400 price range, and is firewire instead of usb 1 which is not as reliable for doing 4 inputs at the same time.

I may have have overlooked something when I was researching audio interfaces but I think they will do roughly the same thing.

I use an Omega and its pretty good. I did have problems with drop outs even with the buffers cranked all the way up. I realized that the built-in-effects AKA plug-ins were using up all the processing power and causing the drop outs. It works fine now and I get some incredible recordings.

$300 for the hardware and software it's an incredible system and a great learning tool. It should keep me busy until I buy a Digi002. :D

Back