Level matching?

djjonblade

I am using adaptec easy cd creater/copier to burn audio cds, and eack track is at different levels! I am aware now that I have to edit each tracks volume accordingly in some sort of audio editor, is there any software to make this task easier? peace!

The simplest approach is to normalize each .wav file. This function is available in Cool Edit and in CW and I suppose in almost any other .wav editing program. Check the whole playlist in EZ-CD Creator before you burn.
There's a playback function that's available whenever a .cl3 file is loaded. My only gripe with it is that it locks up my system until I stop playback.

when you say "nomalize", will this make all my tracks the exact same level,(does normalizing have a set parameter which will make all/any wav. file the exact/almost exact
same volume?

It will only match the loudest point of each .wav file. The dynamic range within each file should be preserved.

dj,

I think I remember you asking a question here previously about using SoundForge? If so, use that to normalize your tracks first, then use it to set the volumes to whatever you want. SF4.5 has a feature to change the volume just about as much as you would reasonably want. (Volume under the Process menu)

Listen to the tracks through the soundcard, comparing them in volume. When you burn the wavs to CD they will be the same relative volume as what you hear coming out of the soundcard. Pull some wav files off professional CDs and compare if you want to make your CD the same volume (or louder/softer) than commerically produced stuff.

yeah after drstawl suggested the normalize thing i reached for sound forge, only thing though is learning to normalize every wave the exact same way, ya see some of the stuff im recording, came from prerecorded material to begin with, i burned a comp. cd for my mom from her collection of cds, and thats when i realized that "red book standard" is not what i thought it was! sometimes especially in the morning my hearing is really well, and other times i cant tell what is higher or lower in respect to volume, and I would like to be critical, for I want to burn as professional cd as possible! peace

Back