Lesser expensive DAW Recommendation

Fairly easy to narrow down.
Do you need it to be portable?
If yes, are your needs very modest?
If another yes, macbook air; If no mac book pro.

If you don't need it to be portable, do you already have a screen and peripherals from an older computer?
If yes, Mac mini.
If no, iMac.

The specifics in terms of hardware and ram capacities are really up to you but for regular home recording duties, it would be hard to go wrong.
I'd lean towards 16gb ram 'cos you can't change your mind later with most models.

Obviously hardware compatibility with your interface is essential so, whatever you buy, make sure it is well supported on modern MacOS, and make sure it's thunderbolt or whatever USB the chosen mac has.
You can go firewire and maybe save a bit, depending on the interfaces you're shopping for, but make sure you're saving at least the cost of the overpriced adapter that you'll need. ;)

Now is a good time to spot which manufacturers really support MacOS, because a brand new OS has just come out.
Check the support pages for interfaces you're considering and shortlist anything that has drivers, or has pending drivers, for Mojave.

Not saying you'll need them or there's any need to be current, but it's nice to know who is thinking forward and who is just clinging on.

Fairly easy to narrow down.
Do you need it to be portable?
If yes, are your needs very modest?
If another yes, macbook air; If no mac book pro.

If you don't need it to be portable, do you already have a screen and peripherals from an older computer?
If yes, Mac mini.
If no, iMac.

The specifics in terms of hardware and ram capacities are really up to you but for regular home recording duties, it would be hard to go wrong.
I'd lean towards 16gb ram 'cos you can't change your mind later with most models.

Obviously hardware compatibility with your interface is essential so, whatever you buy, make sure it is well supported on modern MacOS . . . .
Thanks! Sounds like I'd want a 16-gig iMac if I want to do any more recording - about $1,300 before software, interface, and whatnot.

Hm.

Thanks! Sounds like I'd want a 16-gig iMac if I want to do any more recording - about $1,300 before software, interface, and whatnot.

Hm.

No probs.
If you're a student or know someone who works in an Apple store you might be able to get yourself a discount.
If not, I like to keep an eye on Apple's refurb store. Same product, same warranty, same entitlements; Less fancy packaging.

No probs.
If you're a student or know someone who works in an Apple store you might be able to get yourself a discount.
If not, I like to keep an eye on Apple's refurb store. Same product, same warranty, same entitlements; Less fancy packaging.
Yup, I was just about to go to that web page!

I'm beyond frugal so as such I look for the deal..I never buy Apple new but that's just me and I can tell you it has worked fine for me so far... I picked up a 2011 Imac 27" with 16 GB ram and 1 TB drive for $400 pristine condition about 6 months ago kicks ass...and came with the BT mouse n keyboard...But I live in Lala land so pickins is good...doing a craigslist search for iMac in ME not as many choices but there are few good deals under $600 on Craigslist today

I'm beyond frugal so as such I look for the deal..I never buy Apple new but that's just me and I can tell you it has worked fine for me so far... I picked up a 2011 Imac 27" with 16 GB ram and 1 TB drive for $400 pristine condition about 6 months ago kicks ass...and came with the BT mouse n keyboard...But I live in Lala land so pickins is good...doing a craigslist search for iMac in ME not as many choices but there are few good deals under $600 on Craigslist today
Cool! Thanks!

I have been using MAGIX for 15 years and it works great. Around $50 or so. I've upgraded versions a few times over the years. I currently use the 2015 version. Here is an example of what I do with it. It does everything any other DAW does. YouTube.

I also use their video editing suite for video editing.

Hi. The new free version of Cakewalk is a fully fledged DAW, with lots of options/possibilities.
It is what the latest versionSONAR Platinum would have been, plus lots of new bug fixes and additions.
There is also Pro Tools 1st and Studio One Prime as other free DAW's.
All the best.

Reaper looks great. So does the Behringer. Thanks!

I sprang for xr18 though I don't really play out that much and when I do a pa is usually provided but just as an economical 16 homerecording interface I couldn't pass it up...It is is really nice, a ton of users and damn decent support...Behringer is doing good things...just remember as with all that is digital 5 years is a good life...as per my line 6 UX8 that died...RIP :confused: Conversly my Roland SH3 synth I bought in 1974 still turns on and works as it did the day I bought it...dem was the days

I have been using MAGIX for 15 years and it works great. Around $50 or so. I've upgraded versions a few times over the years. I currently use the 2015 version. Here is an example of what I do with it. It does everything any other DAW does. YouTube.

I also use their video editing suite for video editing.
That was pretty cool!
:D

Back