Leaving Studio One stops the transport and the sound

revnice1

When I duck out of Studio One to open a lyric sheet or answer a message, the transport and therefore the sound are stopped. Does anyone know if that's a function of my MOTU Traveler driver or Windows 10 - or better still, does anyone know if I can keep the sound coming using a setting.

When playing an mp3 using VLC Media Player, the sound doesn't stop when I leave, the movie player doesn't stop - but the DAW does!?

How do you display a lyric sheet and hear the project?

Thanks - rev

I have a similar situation with Reaper. When it's playing or stopped, opening a PC file or folder freezes Reaper and displays 'offline' where the track item/waveform is.

I have found if I minimize Reaper's window before opening a file this does not happen. Another remedy I found is to open all files/folders before Reaper, keeping them in the background. Just bringing them to the front when needed has no effect on Reaper.

I have a similar situation with Reaper. When it's playing or stopped, opening a PC file or folder freezes Reaper and displays 'offline' where the track item/waveform is.

I have found if I minimize Reaper's window before opening a file this does not happen. Another remedy I found is to open all files/folders before Reaper, keeping them in the background. Just bringing them to the front when needed has no effect on Reaper.

Curiously, I tried to replicate this.

I opened Reaper, loaded up a project, then hit play. Unsurprisingly, Reaper started playing.

While it was playing I opened up another directory, then loaded up an MP3 into winamp and hit play on this.

So now as I am typing this response, I have Reaper and Winamp both happily playing different things in the background.

To add to the mayhem, I have now also loaded up photoshop and imported a picture.

I am not having much luck in getting Reaper to freeze.

Studio One with the MOTU Traveler audio driver doesn't behave that way. Clicking anything outside S1 will stop the transport and the sound. Minimizing the window will cause the problem.

I don't think it should operate that way, I'll have a word with MOTU.

There is an option to allow a program to have exclusive rights to a device. Can't remember where its at right now, you might check control panel properties of your audio device. Once another program is made primary, it then takes control of the output device.

If you turn that off, then multiple programs can access the device.

There is an option to allow a program to have exclusive rights to a device. Can't remember where its at right now, you might check control panel properties of your audio device. Once another program is made primary, it then takes control of the output device.

If you turn that off, then multiple programs can access the device.

Cubase has a similar function. Called "Allow other uses to access the drivers" or similar, it is a box you can tick. In the case of Cubase however, don't. Cubase is monotheistic and gets jealous unless it has total control. At least that is what we found years ago, might be better with today's whizz bang computers.

Dave.

S1 has that option too, it's found under Studio One > Options > Audio Setup > Audio Device > Release Audio Device in Background (and I have that checked)

That means you don't have to Exit S1 to be able to use VLC Media Player (for example) but it doesn't solve my problem. My problem doesn't involve two audio devices, it involves clicking anywhere outside S1.

WhatsApp, email, Notepad, anything will stop the transport and the sound. Gecko had it right, you should be able to play two or more audio devices at the same time but my problem isn't limited to audio devices.

Back