Latency on Win 7 Dual Core

Well, it ain't bad! I just hooked my 202 (actually the UFO202 but that just has a switch for RIAA compensation) and ran it with ASIO4ALL and at 256 samples (5.8mS) there seemed be no delay twixt me hitting a key on the qwerty and hearing a note. At 128 samples it crackled but I dare say some optimization could improve that.

That was running it on my old HP laptop. 2.4G 4 core 8G ram i3 (yeah, sorry I don't have anything crappier than that to hand!)

Ooops! Sorry, I was running the demo of Modartt's Pianoteq a brilliant piano app. Totally safe download and available for 32 bit systems. Get it!

Dave.

I've done all that. When I select ASIO4ALL as the input (from Audition) it displays: Not Connected. The only way I get audio input is by selecting Audition for Windows. Any ideas?

Computer performance issues aren't going to manifest as an unexpected delay - They're going to manifest as struggling to keep up...Crackling, clicking, popping, and maybe failure with an error message.
I think you need to get your hands on a buffer size setting, somewhere, and test to determine if your current soundcard (and drivers) are capable of low enough latency monitoring.

If they're not then a device from a reputable manufacturer, with decent drivers, would probably be the solution.
Doesn't have to be fancy - USB interface from Presonus/Tascam/NI/whatever.

It's a while since I've used windows and I don't know Audition/Audacity that well, but I do know Reaper.
Download ASIO4All and install.
Download Reaper and install.

In Reaper Options>Preferences>Devices select AudioSystem : Asio, then Asio Driver : ASIO4ALL v2.
Click 'ASIO configuration, make sure your soundcard is highlighted in the left panel then click the + to expand its IO and make sure the correct IO are highlighted.
Quite often there are multiple options like digital in/out, cd in, mic in, etc. Make sure you've ticked only the jack that you're using - Probably Line Input.

Below that you'll see 'Asio Buffer Size". This controls your latency.
Set it to 256 then OK the open dialog boxes.

In Reaper create and arm a new track and test. You should get audio and it should be lower latency.
If it's not low enough go back and lower that Asio Buffer Size to 128 and test again.

If latency is good but you're hearing artefacts - clicks/pops/etc - then you're looking at computer performance but let's cross that bridge if and when.

Hope that helps.

I'm think that "whatever "soundcard" is in the computer is not actually equipped to do A/D, " It's not a laptop, it's a desktop and I've stripped it of everything running in the background. What do you think of these new USB mixers? Do they replace a soundcard?

I'm think that "whatever "soundcard" is in the computer is not actually equipped to do A/D

Not sure what that means - If you plugged something in and observed latency then it does A/D.

What do you think of these new USB mixers? Do they replace a soundcard?

A mixer is for mixing, or routing/hands on control.
Most, but not all, combine all the inputs into a stereo feed so at their core they are a 2 channel audio interface with extra handy routing possibilities and convenient hardware mute/solo/volume control.
If you need that then, sure, get one, but most often people just need a regular audio interface.

I'm not sure how this got so complicated. If the issue is that you plugged in some instrument (line in), made some noise, then heard it back with latency, look for buffer settings for your current device before anything else.
If you can't find that or it's not offered, try the steps with ASIO4ALL above ^.

I don't see why an old computer with generic soundcard shouldn't be able to give you reasonably low-latency 'live' monitoring.

Here's a screen shot of the current situation:
ASIO.jpg
I've got the machine stripped down. I've got all sounds turned off. But I'm getting a 'Not Connected' when I try to select ASIO4ALL. I read somewhere that this may be caused by having system sounds turned on, but they're off. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

this bit...
"Click 'ASIO configuration, make sure your soundcard is highlighted in the left panel then click the + to expand its IO and make sure the correct IO are highlighted.
Quite often there are multiple options like digital in/out, cd in, mic in, etc. Make sure you've ticked only the jack that you're using - Probably Line Input."

Your soundcard is highlighted so click + to expand out its inputs and make sure the correct one is chosen.

this bit...
"Click 'ASIO configuration, make sure your soundcard is highlighted in the left panel then click the + to expand its IO and make sure the correct IO are highlighted.
Quite often there are multiple options like digital in/out, cd in, mic in, etc. Make sure you've ticked only the jack that you're using - Probably Line Input."

Your soundcard is highlighted so click + to expand out its inputs and make sure the correct one is chosen.

THIS WORKS! Please take $100 out of petty cash and buy yourself something nice.
First off, the interface for ASIO4ALL is incomprehensible. I just stumbled upon the right configuration by randomly clicking on stuff.
Second, I still was getting latency until I REDUCED the sample size. This was the exact opposite of what I thought. I had to reduce Latency Compensation from 1024 samples to 512.
Anyway, THIS WORKS! Heck, take $200 out of petty cash and buy something REALLY nice!
Thanks again!

Nice one. Glad to have helped. :)

That should now work in your preferred audio program, if you want to move back.
All you'd have to do is select ASIO as the program's audio device, just like you did in Reaper, but I don't think you should have to adjust any settings again.

I'm going to take that $200 and get myself a USB mixer. :laughings:

:listeningmusic:

Yes, it's working in Adobe Audition 3.0 (it's free and does more than everything I want).

Thanks, again!

Back