Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Latency Nightmare Help

Thanks

Latency Nightmare Help

Sign in to disable this ad
    15 years ago I had a Firewire Solo. It was awesome. Zero latency.
    Eventually, I upgraded computers and for whatever reason, it wasn't compatible.
    I got a 2nd generation Scarlett Solo. It worked for a couple of months and then no matter what I did it had terrible latency.
    Actually, I found one driver that worked pretty good, but it had horrible static.....
    I bought a 3rd generation. It had even worse latency......
    I just bought a M-Audio Air 192.... It seems to have noticeable latency but less than the Scarlett.... It has less if I plug it into a regular USB port. It's worse with the USB3 port.
    None of them are even close to the Firewire solo.....

This leads me to my question.... Is it strange I've had so many problems? Could it be my computer? Would a separate USB card help?
    Is it the fact I'm using Windows 7?
    It seemed like once I upgraded from XP back in the day is when all of my problems started to arise...
    Is it more likely a PC problem?
    I'm still using Adobe Audition 1.5.

Any suggestions to try? I feel like I've tried everything over the years other than a completely different computer.

Ps. I have an I7 with 64 gigs of ram and SSD.... I can't think of any reason why the specs would be a problem....

Thanks
    Windows 7 might be a problem, I don't know. Are you using the latest driver specifically for the Solo 2nd generation? It should allow for near zero latency by routing the input monitoring via the direct path inside the interface, without making the round trip through USB to the computer and back (though many people are making the round trip on newer computers without too much latency).

Thanks
    Yes, the newest Scarlett solo driver makes the delay crazy bad. Like full 1-2 second delays.
    The only driver that's sorta usable is years old.... it's a beta driver.... but it has crazy static and pops...

Thanks
    I think it's probably impossible for the direct monitoring path to add a full one or two seconds. I don't think it has enough of a buffer. Are you sure you're not monitoring through the CPU? In your DAW, turn off input monitoring*.

*I know, it should be possible to monitor through the DAW without that much latency, but for testing purposes let's sort out one problem at a time.

Thanks
    Have you run the RTL checker to see if there are other processes that are delaying the transfer of data?

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I cannot see a reputable Co like Focusrite marketing an interface with such high latency not even the bog starter Solo unit, so let's check the basics first?

Make sure the Solo is the Default play and record audio device and disable any other AND Windows Sounds.

Have you got the latest ASIO* driver installed for W7 from F'rite? Next, download and install the trial of Modartt's Pianoteq. That will allow you to play the keys from your qwerty and should give a subjectively instant note as you hit it. If not, or you get crackles you have a computer problem, any 1/2 decent PC should be glitch free at 128 samples.

*I assume the Solo HAS an ASIO driver? If not try ASIO4all but it ain't as good.

Dave.

Thanks
    What is your sample rate and buffer size?
    64gb ram in windows 7?
    There is no point in using hobby drivers like ASIO4ALL when using a well tried and tested interface like Focusrite

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bruiser1964 View Post
    What is your sample rate and buffer size?
    64gb ram in windows 7?
    There is no point in using hobby drivers like ASIO4ALL when using a well tried and tested interface like Focusrite
    I can get the sample rate down to 16 without crackling on my M-Audio.
    On my Focusrite older drivers I can get it down to 1ms but it still has noticeable latency.
    On the newer drivers it lets me go down to 16.
    Same rate 44100

Thanks
    Are you telling me listening to my voice through the recording device adds latency?
    I could attempt to record without that.

Thanks
    You are using a buffer rate if 16, I don't even see 16 on my interface (Presonus or Tascam)? I use 256, and while there is latency, it is about like a chorus effect.

Also, do not use a USB hub, plug straight into your computer.

I don't think it is Win7 as many of us had Win7 and had little to no problem. However, drivers that support Win7 are harder to find these days.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thread Information