Latency issue using midi as a click

tenkas

When I use the midi metronome, or any midi file as a click source, when I record, I always get a huge latency (a lot more then just a few ms) and this is anoying since I like to click to midi.

When I use the audio metronome in sonar, there is no problem with latency.

I am using a delta1010lt and the midi sounds are generated by SWtable (standard).

I have a very stable and powerful computer, so that's not the problem, is there a problem because the midi's aren't generated by my soundcard but by SWtable?

Thanks,

tenkas said:
I am using a delta1010lt and the midi sounds are generated by SWtable

Is that the standard Windows midi device? That would be your problem. Try adding a DXi sound module to your project, like the DR-008 that Sonar 4 comes with, and routing the midi through that, should get some better results.

If you're recording audio, I strongly suggest that you >always< use an audio click track instead of a midi metronome (takes only a few seconds to make and render one and you can mute it when the song is done).

What is the easieast way to render one? and let say I want to track listening to the midi, what is the easieast way to render midi's so they are always in sinc with the rest?

Thanks

the easiest way is to actually route to a device ( i keep an alesis sr-16 handy for just such a case) and record the output, giving you an audio track that will be easy to play with, and mute when you don't need it.
another option, without covering what has already been covered, is to use a drum loop. any loop that you can play with will do, just import it or drag it into the project using loop explorer, and groove loop it, then drag it out to the length you need it to be. I find it much easier (as do my clients) to play along with some sort of actual drum sounds than to play to a straight quarter-note click.

take care
Aaron

Back