Late 2019 MacBook Pro Specs for Logic Pro X

haskins02

I got tuned off to the idea of buying a new Windows 10 laptop because of continued reports and uncertainties associated with DPC latency. So I decided to bite the bullet, play it safe (?) and buy a new MacBook Pro (either 13 or 15 inch) with Logic Pro X installed, also supported by Apple.

I would appreciate suggestions on which features to order that will be “comfortably sufficient” for my relatively modest music production needs. I am a hobbyist creating mostly background tracks for my solo performances. However, I do plan to buy plug-in instruments like Kontact Komplete 12 which may have large sized samples. I will use the MacBook mostly as a home office computer and with a large 4K external monitor, so the internal display size does not matter.

Obviously, the 15-inch MacBook Pro is the best way to go with all the top end features I can afford. That’s a given. But I’d to see if I can save a few bucks with a top-end 13-inch model with the following:

2.8GHz quad core 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.7GHz (Comfortably sufficient? The upgraded six core CPU is only available on the 15-inch.)

16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory (Comfortably sufficient? The upgraded 32 GB memory is only available on the 15-inch.)

512GB SSD storage (I would use it with a 2 TB external SSD for song files and sample libraries. Is USB-3.1 Gen 2 connectivity comfortably sufficient rather than the faster and more expensive Thunderbolt 3?)

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 graphics (Is this comfortably sufficient for single a 32-inch external 4K monitor? Upgraded graphics are only available on the 15-inch.)

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Hi,
I can't give you direct advice about the 2019 models but I used a 2011 2.3ghz i5 13" for several years as the main computer for everything,
then I upgraded to 2015 equivalent. I think it's 2.7ghz.

The 2011 model got a 16gb ram upgrade that was probably needed for audio work but not really for day to day use.
The newer one only has 8gb because I do my audio work on a desktop now.

All I can tell you is I used ProTools, waves plugins, a few VSTs, East/West orchestral stuff etc, and can't remember having any problems.
The only major pitfall is making sure your big sample libraries and sessions are on SSD but it sounds like you have that sorted ^.

I think USB3.1 gen2 bottlenecks at something like 7 or 800 MB/s? If that's right, it's more than enough for audio work. :)

I have a 2017 MBP, 2.9 GHz, 16 G ram, radeon pro 560, 512 G SSD. It's more than fine for recording and mixing. IIRC, the 2019's have the new kaby lake processors so they are faster, and more energy efficient. Under heavy load, my fan is LOUD AF, which is really irritating. They've allegedly fixed that with the 2019's. I am thinking of upgrading to the 15" MBP but I have the luxury of my work paying for it so I'm going all out.

Round trip latency is as low as 3.7ms at 32 samples, and 'low latency' mode on. I can't understand how in today's world of insane hardware that we still need to deal with latency at all.

I use a Scarlett 18i20 (Gen 2) via USB-C, and the Slate all access bundle as well as some Wave plugins. Logic is smart enough to turn off plugins that increase latency (it's in audio settings somewhere...), and the 'freeze' function also helps so I think you'd be fine with that setup.

It might be best to hold off buying a new Mac until they've ironed out the issues with the latest operating system. Most music software manufacturers don't support it yet so you'll probably be limited to using whatever is included with Logic for a few months.

It might be best to hold off buying a new Mac until they've ironed out the issues with the latest operating system. Most music software manufacturers don't support it yet so you'll probably be limited to using whatever is included with Logic for a few months.

Good point! I'm not sure I'd delay a purchase over it, though; You can always just install Mojave when it arrives.

Back