last request for help

riccol

Can anyone suggest a site where I can learn more on how to use the soundcard I just bought.

From reading stuff here in the forum from all of you experts I got all hyper and convinced myself that I needed to buy a new soundcard. I had been using the one with my HP computer (Riptide) and having fun with Guitar tracks.

I bought a Audiophile 24/96 -- I have been fighting with it since last saturday. and it is on the verge of winnning --- at present I can only get and immediate dropout. I have plenty of computer power I think. (533mz 256ram) Got it set up --worked o.k. with playback at first --- Worked o.k. with record at first. I have fought with everyting from latencey to buffers and read and re-read the manual -- When I set it up with the old card everything still works great. Any suggestions where I might learn more than I am able to get from the manual and my help section. I have tried it all.

I'll keep working with it through the weekend --- After that --- chekout the sellling section and e-bay -- someone will get a good deal!! I know when I'm whipped.

dont hit ebay just yet......first thing, make sure you have the latest drivers.....

http://www.midiman.net
click on support,download drivers,put in audiophile and your OS

try changing pci slots.....

then give me all the settings you have in each screen of the Control Panel....

In the Deltal Control panel under the patchbay router tab I have in the left colum WAV out 1/2, -- then under the far right colum WAV out S/PDIF. these are the only setting that I have had any sucess with.

In the hardware setting under master clock S/PDIF in is checked the codec sample rate has the block checked that says reset rate when idle, and this is the olny option available. S/Pdif Sample Rate is 44,100
Multitrack driver devices is set to single and in sync
the variable e signal levels are set to consumer
DMA buffer size latency is set at 28
then under the S/PDIF tab consumer is selected.

I started having immediate dropouts when under the audio options in my cakewalk guitar tracks I clicked on wave profiler.
However the last Saturday when I had a friend Install it It did work Playback and record -- Don't know what I have done.
My first thing to figure out now before I can move on is to stop
the immediate dropouts.

I'm dowloading the drivers now.

There are a lot of issues besides CPU clock speed that could cause problems. One hardware biggies: drive speed. If you have a 5400rpm drive running off a standard IDE controller, I doubt you would have much success with any soundcard. This is only one of many things that could affect your performance.

There are many optimizing guidelines out there. What OS are you running?

For Win95/98, here's one: http://www.audioforums.com/win95_setup.html

For Win2000/XP, try http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/45BEB3250308114E86256A7F007D8FA4

i have the audiophile 2496 .. splendid piece of mahinery i must admit.

had problems with it in Sonar for a while.

i set it's buffers to 1024. locked the rate at 441000Hz.

.. oh yeah , and i installed Windows 2000.

I've got a pidly little AMS k6-2 350MHz with 448MB RAM and a 5400 RPM hd .. yeah it sucks, but it works perfectly for many tracks of audio (at least 8@24 bits) and i'm not even planing to upgrade for a while. I'm gonna buy myself a fender bass first.

Fudging with the buffers is a good thing .. remember that high latency is not necessarily a bad thing .. midiman gave you a choice of many latency settings for a reason. If you're not doing midi .. then you can probably live with a bit of latency.

Windows 2000 and the wdm drivers was the key however.

AlChuck is right hoever

hard disk performance is a big big issue. having the crappy system that i have, i had to squeeze every ounce of juice out of it. It took me a long time to get things working right. Patience is a virtue. You're system is good man.

Play with your buffers and make sure you have the latest bus master drivers for your motherboard's chipset.

hard disk performance can be an issue, especially with higher track counts....buffers can play a big part too...i have a similar system to yours, riccol, and i have all my buffers cranked to max (Delta Control and N-Track)........

O.K. fellers -- Check out e-bay for a good deal on a one week old Delta Audiophile 2496 with warranty card ---

This is suppose to be fun!!!

O.K. so I overreacted. I am getting it to work. And it does sound great!! Lots more to learn though.

Back