Laptop?

B3 Edwards

So I am wondering what kind of specs I need in a laptop to do some field recording. I really only need to be able to record, since I can do any post recording stuff in my studio on my desktop. For example, I want to be able to do some stereo recording for something such as an ensemble. Then I can bring back those files to edit on my real beefy computer. What are good laptop specs for that? Thanks!

Hi,
If your requirements are modest you might get away with a handheld recorder?
There are some with just two channels, built in microphones or externals via XLR.
Some have four channels - 2 built in microphones and two externals.

The offerings from zoom and tascam are popular and not too expensive.

If you really need/want a laptop then the hardware and software you intend to use should inform the purchase more than anything else.
More or less any off the shelf laptop these days is going to be capable of recording a handful of dry tracks.

Tell us more, and welcome to HR! :)

Thank you! I don't know why I didn't even think of a handheld recorder. I really only need 2 channel XLR anyway, so that should totally work! I will look into it. Thanks again!

Funnily enough I have been looking for a refurbed laptop for son's crimble prezzie. I have pretty much set on the Lenovo T430, i5 3320M 2.6G, 8G ram, 256 SSD W10 Pro and 14" screen (15" seems like Unicorn pee these days?)

The i5 CPU has twice the Benchmark grunt of this i3 HP and I find this quick enough for most things.

Any with direct experience of the machine, please opine?

Dave.

Hey ecc, I have the T440p for my work laptop. It has an i7 running Win10. It's a great machine but heavy. I don't like it for traveling. In fact, I stash it in my suitcase when flying. Just too heavy for the backpack.

For the OP, I have an Acer Swift 1. It uses a tablet type processor, but I have no problem recording 2 tracks with my Focusrite 2i2. And... it is super light. Love that little laptop.

I recently bought a Tascam DR-40 to record rehearsals with my bands. Still learning how to use it, but for the price point, it seems very functional. 2 built-in mics and 2 XLR combo jacks. Multitude of recording options.

Hey ecc, I have the T440p for my work laptop. It has an i7 running Win10. It's a great machine but heavy. I don't like it for traveling. In fact, I stash it in my suitcase when flying. Just too heavy for the backpack.

For the OP, I have an Acer Swift 1. It uses a tablet type processor, but I have no problem recording 2 tracks with my Focusrite 2i2. And... it is super light. Love that little laptop.

I recently bought a Tascam DR-40 to record rehearsals with my bands. Still learning how to use it, but for the price point, it seems very functional. 2 built-in mics and 2 XLR combo jacks. Multitude of recording options.

Cheers Chils! Good to get a bit of feedback. Weight won't bother son, strapping 6ft 46 yr old, doesn't drive so walks everywhere and pretty fit. He is based in northern France and says the laptop will rarely leave his flat. He bought the bargain lot of Samplitude Pro X 3 on DVDs. I have it as well and can run the m'trak demo on this lil' i3 so he should have no bother?

Dave.

Back