LAN-jamming?

moskus

The Creator of Æ, Ø and Å
I know it's possible for 2 or more people to jam togeter via MIDI over a 100Mbit LAN usingMidivianet .

Is there a way to do the same thing, only with audio? As in plug a source into one computer, transfer the audio in realtime for recording to another computer.

My question is why would you want to do that?

You could sort of fake it by recording to a network share, but that would be kinda silly. :)

Slackmaster 2000

moskus said:
I know it's possible for 2 or more people to jam togeter via MIDI over a 100Mbit LAN usingMidivianet .

Is there a way to do the same thing, only with audio? As in plug a source into one computer, transfer the audio in realtime for recording to another computer.

100mbits is still only 12Mbytes/sec. That is not a sustained transfer rate anyways - hardly enough to be considered reliable.

I would only begin to consider doing what you want to do with a Gigabit ethernet connection.

Gigabit connections may be here sooner than we think. I think IBM is doing some testing on a system like this for real time uncompressed films over a server :)

My question is why would you want to do that?
I really don't know...:p I just thought it would be fun connecting all my computers around the house (I've got a few).

I'm using Sonar. Maybe I want something like Steinbergs System Link? Sharing system resources between different PCs would be great!

Back