Komplete Audio 6 Signal Echo/Reverb?

Meridian

This is probably just me learning how things work, but I want to confirm it's me and not the equipment being weird.

I'm using Reaper with my Komplete Audio 6, headphones plugged into the KA6, and direct monitoring on the KA6 turned off. (User manual states the Direct Monitoring feature cannot be used for Inputs 3/4 (the balanced 1/4" inputs)). Signal chain is condenser mic → balanced XLR cable → dbx 286s → balanced 1/4" TRS cable → Input 3 on KA6 → USB cable → laptop. Device in Reaper is set to KA6 ANSIO driver.

When Record Monitoring is set to OFF in Reaper I can't hear anything in the headphones, which I sort of expected. When Record Monitoring in Reaper is set to ON or AUTO I can hear the mic, but it sounds like there is a very short delay or reverb on the signal. My newbie assumption is that what I'm hearing in the headphones is the original signal from the interface mixed with the latency-delayed signal from the DAW. I've tried different configuration combinations/settings on both the KA6 and Reaper, but I get either nothing or the "reverb" signal. Is there a way to configure the KA6 and/or Reaper to monitor either (1) the signal from the KA6 by itself (preferred) or (2) the "return" signal from Reaper, but not both simultaneously?

Hope all that makes sense. Any help is appreciated.

If you can't use direct monitoring on inputs 3 & 4, that, to me, is a design flaw.

However, if your assumption that what you're hearing is "the original signal from the interface mixed with the latency-delayed signal from the DAW" is correct, then you are getting direct monitoring.

One thing that you can try is to bypass the dbx 286, and go straight from mike to interface. Then you have option of direct monitoring available, and you can leave software monitoring off.

However, if your assumption that what you're hearing is "the original signal from the interface mixed with the latency-delayed signal from the DAW" is correct, then you are getting direct monitoring.
That is what really confused me. It's not supposed to do direct monitoring, but then i get the pre-DAW (direct monitor?) signal along with the post-DAW signal with DAW monitoring.

One thing that you can try is to bypass the dbx 286, and go straight from mike to interface. Then you have option of direct monitoring available, and you can leave software monitoring off.

I would do that, but that then I loose all of the goodness of the dbx. :|

What happens, with your current set up, if you turn the "input/host" knob to the halfway position and turn software monitoring off?

If that results in silence, it means the KA6 does as it says, i.e not have direct monitoring on 3 & 4.

When you use software monitoring, try turning the knob all the way to "host"

What happens, with your current set up, if you turn the "input/host" knob to the halfway position and turn software monitoring off?

Unfortunately, there is no Input/Host mix knob/setting on the KA6 that I can find. Only the Monitor volume knob, and that only works for Inputs 1 & 2. Here is the relevant section from the user manual:

In the Monitor section of the KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 audio interface, you can set the device to
bypass any signal processing and send the audio signal from the input directly to the output of
the device at zero latency. This function is known as Direct Monitoring.

The Direct Monitoring feature only applies to inputs IN 1/2 and is not available for inputs
IN 3/4 and IN 5/6.

I was going by the pictures I saw in google.

As I look further I see there are variants. One that has just a monitor button and level.

I've used that exact signal chain quite a bit over the last several months, and I haven't experienced that same issue. Well, I'm using the new version of the KA6, but the features are pretty much the same. I rarely ever use direct monitoring, so it's almost always off. And whether I go through the 286s or not, I don't get any echo.

I think that Zed's suggestion to go directly in from the mic to the input was to eliminate variables. I doubt that the 286 would cause any sort of echo, but it'll be worth trying it as a diagnostic measure. How it sounds is of no concern while troubleshooting.

If you disable software monitoring completely, does the signal go completely dead when direct monitoring is off? Does any signal register at all in the waveforms of recorded tracks?

Well, I'm using the new version of the KA6, but the features are pretty much the same.
I should have mentioned I'm using the Mk1 (see pic above), not the newer Mk2 version.

I think that Zed's suggestion to go directly in from the mic to the input was to eliminate variables.
Yes, using either of the XLR inputs (Inputs 1/2) on the KA6 allows me to monitor the pre-DAW signal directly using headphones on the KA6 without the echo.

If you disable software monitoring completely, does the signal go completely dead when direct monitoring is off? Does any signal register at all in the waveforms of recorded tracks?
Yes. Reaper will meter and record the signal just fine when Monitoring is turned off on the KA6 and Record Monitoring in Reaper is set to OFF.

The delay you are hearing is your system latency. Reaper shows the latency up in the top right corner - what's yours? What are your buffer settings?

Hmm, odd. That screenshot clearly shows you should be able to direct monitor 3/4 (the other options are, just 1/2, just 3/4) but I have just done a quick rig in Sam 8SE AND yes input one I hear in cans, 3/4 I do not no matter the setting in Sam or the selection on the front panel.

Playing back a track routed to 3/4 gives me sound. I would have said "the FA6 does an awful lot, very well for its money and DMon on 3/4 is perhaps being greedy? But then why suggest you CAN do it in the Control Panel.

A firmware update yet to be enacted?

Dave.

Attachments

• ka6 mon.png
    ka6 mon.png
    172 KB · Views: 8
Hmm, odd. That screenshot clearly shows...

I didn't post a screenshot...:confused:

...clearly shows you should be able to direct monitor 3/4 (the other options are, just 1/2, just 3/4) but I have just done a quick rig in Sam 8SE AND yes input one I hear in cans, 3/4 I do not no matter the setting in Sam or the selection on the front panel.

Playing back a track routed to 3/4 gives me sound. I would have said "the FA6 does an awful lot, very well for its money and DMon on 3/4 is perhaps being greedy? But then why suggest you CAN do it in the Control Panel.

A firmware update yet to be enacted?

To sum up what scattered around in the user manual, the Direct Monitoring feature only works for Inputs 1/2 (XLR/Line jacks on front) going to (Main) Outputs 1/2 (1/4" balanced) and Outputs 3/4 (1/4" balanced, no volume control). The Channel drop-down in the screenshot you posted refers to the Output channels you can monitor (i.e., Output 1/2, Output 3/4, or both); it does not refer to which Input channels you can monitor (only Inputs 1/2).

It seems that there are two options left in lieu of an as-yet undiscovered work-around. One is to go straight from mike to interface inputs 1 or 2. The other is to get an interface that does what you need it to. The newer version of KA6 might do it.

~6.8/8.7ms

44.1kHz, 192

That's an acceptable latency, the 'echo' of direct monitor + software monitor should be tolerable, or delay on non-direct monitored tracks. 44.1/192 is not your buffer, that's your sample rate and bit rate.

That's an acceptable latency, the 'echo' of direct monitor + software monitor should be tolerable, or delay on non-direct monitored tracks. 44.1/192 is not your buffer, that's your sample rate and bit rate.

I'm assuming "buffer" is the Process Buffer setting the the KA6 ANSIO driver, which is set at 192 samples.

It seems that there are two options left in lieu of an as-yet undiscovered work-around. One is to go straight from mike to interface inputs 1 or 2. The other is to get an interface that does what you need it to.
Connecting the dbx preamp to Input 1/2 is an option, but then I'm getting into a gain staging exercise. I think I'm leaning toward your latter recommendation at this point.

Connecting the dbx preamp to Input 1/2 is an option, but then I'm getting into a gain staging exercise. I think I'm leaning toward your latter recommendation at this point.

In defence of the KA6 I have just read a review of the SSL 'budget' interfaces and I had assumed that the larger one of the two had 4 analogue inputs a la KA6. Not so despite being some $30 dearer, also no S/PDIF.

The MOTU M4 does have 4 anny ins and that display is bloody gorgeous! You might look at Focusrite?
I have an old Mk1 8i6 and I am going to replace the KA6 in my 'dubbing suite"* with it and try to get to grips with the routing software. One facility I hope I can crack is 'loop back'. This allows you to record internal computer sound, in my case Radio3. I cannot do this with the KA6 nor the M-A2496 card in the PC.

*Hah! A motley collection of cassette and MDisc machines and home brewed patch bay in my junk fill grotty spare bedroom 'Stooodio' !!

Dave.

Almost, but quite off topic, I bought a Presonus Firepod in the early days (around 2005) and it has served me well since then. At that time, I didn't know much about interfaces, nor about what sort of functions they should have.

In my quest for a future replacement, I've come to realise that, by accident, the Firepod had some features,some or all of which I find to be lacking in the current crop of interfaces.

1 A physical knob to control the balance between monitoring and play back (over all channels!).
2 Separate headphone and out level controls
3 Combo XLR/TRS inputs on the front panel, so that you make use of them, rather than scrabbling around the back of a rack to change things
4 Gain controls for channels away from inputs so you don't have to find the knob through cables
5 Line outputs for all channels, as well as main outs and control room outs
6 Inserts for channels 1 and 2 (into which I can plug my Dbx without having having OP's issue
7 DIN MIDI in and out

I was the accidental beneficiary of these features, because I didn't know what to look for at the time. But they sure are hard to find all in one unit now.

Back