Just got a new computer,should I ditch the old one or can it still be usefull

rokinrandy

Banned Moderater
Well the old one is a 32 bit xp system with a pentium 4 and has a gig of ddr2..Great for recording audio
But working with some vst's can be a little trying:facepalm:

The new computer has the pentium I7 and 16 Gigs of ddr3 and handles vst's very well and it is running Windows 7 64 bit..

I have an hdmi tv for the monitor of this new computer with an old 2008 model geforce 9300ge right now just to see how the card works,I have an hdmi on the onboard video so I didnt real need the card..But I wanted to see If I could hook up different monitors..Didn't work to good as they all displayed the same thing:o

I have 2 15" flat monitors aside from the 24" HD TV and now I'm hearing that none of its no good unless the monitors have a dvi dual link jack..Well my monitors have always had the pin type.
So now what get rid of the monitors:facepalm:
Guess I better take some computer classes and catch up....

So my question is If you guys were on a tight budget like me would yall try to use all this stuff or just get rid of it all and use the new system with the hd tv only???? what would you guys do and why and how?
Any links Welcome,Thanks:thumbs up:

Your old computer is just fine for surfing the web. Update it (if you have not already) to SP3 and IE 8 and surf away. That way you can keep your new PC 'off the grid' and safe from viruses & such.

All true.
I have a 3.0ghz p4 box sitting here with 4gb 667 ram.
I contemplated throwing an e6600 into it and using it as a tracking machine or even just a t'internet computer.

For the kind of work I do I only really need a bit of power at the end when I'm mixing the full session; I use my MBP for everything at the minute.
Even with a p4 chip, that box could well be useful.

I agree with RWHite. I have an old dedicated DAW machine. I use it as my "lab" machine. If there is something I want to try out (demos, free VST's, etc...) I use that machine. One thing though. If you are going to do that - get all updates, get a good free antivirus, then set a restore point on the PC (assuming it's a windows box). That way, if (when) it gets messed up, you can simply restore it back to a good place...

I agree with RWHite. I have an old dedicated DAW machine. I use it as my "lab" machine. If there is something I want to try out (demos, free VST's, etc...) I use that machine. One thing though. If you are going to do that - get all updates, get a good free antivirus, then set a restore point on the PC (assuming it's a windows box). That way, if (when) it gets messed up, you can simply restore it back to a good place...

Good advice, but even better is to buy a drive imaging program (I use Symantec's Ghost) and back up ALL of your computers every few months. And keep your important data files backed up at all times. Rebuilding a PC means not just data & programs lost but a day or weekend lost, its worth it.

Back