izotope ozone

daveblue222

just got ozone and was wondering how to use it as its technically a plugin. should i use at as an insert on a stereo out insert?

are the presets any good?

cheers

Ozone is a plugin

It is marketed as a mastering plug so the idea would be to put it as an insert on the master bus although you can use it at the track or sub mix level

Presets are a starting point, They are one persons opinion of what processing should occur but they were not designed with your specific music in mind, in fact the person who made them never hearrd the track you are working on so how the eq, compression etc could be "right" for your music is a total stab in the dark, a complete one in a million chance it will be what you actually need. It will not magically make your music great.

Ozone should be used with great care it's very easy to ruin a perfectly good mix with it and using presets is about the fastest way to do that

Read the included pdf's (manuals). Thats the best place to start. If you do want to try the presets as a starting point then its important to get the input level into the plugin correct. As with any plugin and hardware units, input level is extremely important. Read the book, dont wait for the movie !!!!

ok thanks for the advice. i have read "most" of the manual now and im still unsure about one thing when it comes to mastering. lets say i have an albums worth of songs all mixed down and ready for mastering. using cubase is it best to create a track and import each mixdown one after the other onto this track then apply the ozone plugin to the stereo out. so, technically all songs have the same mastering.

i realize that every song may need different mastering but most of our music has the same setup of 2 acoustics, acoustic bass and vox.

im only experimenting with ozone at the moment and just trying to get a general idea of the art of mastering.

cheers

i realize that every song may need different mastering but most of our music has the same setup of 2 acoustics, acoustic bass and vox.

You could get lucky. If your songs are dynamically and musically similar, then a standard setting may work.

However, getting a cohesive sound across an album's worth of music is more than just getting the same level. You also need to take into account the natural variations between songs that you want to keep. For example, some songs will be faster and louder, others will be softer and slower (or whatever).

Using Cubase, one way to do it is to load all the songs onto separate tracks, put the whole thing into a big loop and play. Solo each one in turn and compare it to the one you've just heard. This will tell you whether it needs to be adjusted. If it does, then use Ozone as an insert on the track you are working on.

Back