Its not the DAW is the User .....

SD88

I have come to an understanding that is not the DAW is the user who has to take its sweet time to learn how to use DAW, this is totally my opinion in case some people get offended, when something dont work with me I dont blame the DAW I blame me for not knowing how to use it properly I have read lots of issues with users with different DAWs' "my daw cannot do that or this" and " I need that to do my awesome Mix or Mastering" and they keep changing instead of stick and learn and what you dont know google it. Cause differences between daws are minimal and I mean primarily to Pro Tools, Sonar, Cubase and Reaper. I'm not talking about Reason or FL which are more MIDI related than the other 4, even though that you can do MIDI on any but for MIDI Reason and FL are just perfect. anyways if you got pro tools keep using even if you think sonar can do better or vice-versa cause at the end there ain't a huge difference I have used pro tools at College and Sonar, Cubase and reaper at home. if you dont think like me please tell me why your thoughts are different.

This isn't an opinion, it's true, and anyone who says otherwise is only kidding themselves. Now, there are times when the stability of a DAW can be super frustrating. While it may be user error that Cubase is crashing, I don't want to have to spend my time figuring out what's wrong when Reason doesn't crash at all.

All contemporary DAWS do much the same thing, are all pretty versatile, and are all capable of allowing a user to create good quality recordings.

Mastering any of them takes time, patience and practice . . . same as learning to drive a car.

If people are ruled by the bug of instant gratification, they won't get far.

Agree 100%. And it is not just with the DAW. Same thing happens with hardware.

It's the whole "instant gratification" thing - if the desired results are not immediately forthcoming, then the software or the gear sucks. Never mind that the user did not even open the product manual, or properly research their equipment and software needs in the first place.

Audio is a blend of science and art, both of which require time and practice to develop skills, and a lifetime of ongoing refinement.

Don't be so quick to blame the tools - a lot of the time, user error or incompetence is to blame.

Paul

For a long time I've been running Protools and Waves on a mac with Mackie monitors.

For a long time I've been aware that I'm the reason my mixes suck. :p

I tend to view all truth as a matter of opinion. It just happens that some opinions are better informed ones than others. I agree that to become proficient with any complex, creative program, demands time, patience and persistence. Same with any tool you care to name. Though each DAW has it's own 'character', so to speak and may not always be suited to everyone. For instance, since you mentioned it, FL Studio is unique in some of it's methods and for some, it might not be suitable. Personally, I hit it off pretty much instantly with Image Line. I think because humans are so different, a lot depends on how you think and whether the program/ interface 'speaks to you'. It seems to me, I am more likely to persist with a program if I connect with it quite early on. Once something grabs you and you're into it - then the longer path of deeper learning begins.

So to summarise, I'd say it's a combination of software and user. Not one or the other. I've heard it said that, ideally, when the lights are down and you're settled into a creative process, both software and human should form something of a single working entity.

And that's just my opinion.

Though each DAW has it's own 'character', so to speak and may not always be suited to everyone. For instance, since you mentioned it, FL Studio is unique in some of it's methods and for some, it might not be suitable.

Yep. This too.

Different programmers have different ways of looking at things. One person's intuition is another's nightmare.

While I can certainly make my way with most any DAW, and without a lot of difficulty, mainly 'cuz I've had my face buried in MIDI sequencers, DAWs, video editors and multimedia authoring apps for like the last 20+ years....
...I still have my personal DAW app likes and dislikes.

For example...Sonar is very well liked and used by a lot of folks, and I tried it and saw that it was quite a capable DAW app....but it just didn't feel right to me, certain work-flows didn't fit my style.

So yeah, most people if savvy with one DAW, should be able to work on others with a little learning curve, but there are apps that will be very appealing, and others that you might absolutely hate working with...and if you don't like an app, then there's less chance you will ever really become a power-user with it....so it's best to find the DAW that fits your style.

For me, a lot of it is about the GUI...if it has the right visual layout and appeal, since we are basically using our eyes more than our ears when working with a DAW, but it can also have a lot to do with the logic of the app....how things interconnect and what you have to do to get a certain result. If it takes a lot of mouse clicks and "huh?" moments....then the app isn't right for you.
That said....every new app is going to have it's "huh?" moments, but it should quickly makes sense...to YOU....and from there it's only a short learning curve to figure out where everything is.

If your mixes suck, then I challenge you to a mixoff! :D

Loser has to give a microphone to moresound.

Moresound then has to ship that microphone to the winner.

:laughings:

I crack myself up. :laughings::laughings::laughings:

If your mixes suck, then I challenge you to a mixoff! :D

Loser has to give a microphone to moresound.

Moresound then has to ship that microphone to the winner.

:laughings:

I crack myself up. :laughings::laughings::laughings:

Moresound is sort of like a black hole as far as microphones go... once it's in his gravitational field, it can never escape...

Moresound is sort of like a black hole as far as microphones go... once it's in his gravitational field, it can never escape...

Didn't mean to cause a stir, chaps. Nice votes of confidence though. :)

That's true about Henry. He can't go to concerts or churches or anything like that anymore!! :eek:

There's this thing called a 'Soundgoodizer'. I put that on the master track and adjust the big knob until it sounds gooderer.

'Tis a poor carpenter who blames his tools. I think that's true for any aspect of the recording world.
"If only I had X, my mixes would be Y." BS. Make it awesome with what you have. I found that as soon as one lets go of excuses why the mixes aren't where they need to be, that is when the mixes can improve.

I have come to an understanding that is not the DAW is the user who has to take its sweet time to learn how to use DAW, this is totally my opinion in case some people get offended, when something dont work with me I dont blame the DAW I blame me for not knowing how to use it properly I have read lots of issues with users with different DAWs' "my daw cannot do that or this" and " I need that to do my awesome Mix or Mastering" and they keep changing instead of stick and learn and what you dont know google it. Cause differences between daws are minimal and I mean primarily to Pro Tools, Sonar, Cubase and Reaper. I'm not talking about Reason or FL which are more MIDI related than the other 4, even though that you can do MIDI on any but for MIDI Reason and FL are just perfect. anyways if you got pro tools keep using even if you think sonar can do better or vice-versa cause at the end there ain't a huge difference I have used pro tools at College and Sonar, Cubase and reaper at home. if you dont think like me please tell me why your thoughts are different.

'Tis a poor carpenter who blames his tools. I think that's true for any aspect of the recording world.
"If only I had X, my mixes would be Y." BS. Make it awesome with what you have. I found that as soon as one lets go of excuses why the mixes aren't where they need to be, that is when the mixes can improve.

And if the tools are blunt - or the handle snaps?

As true as it is in some cases, it's still an old wive's tale, told to address those who don't make the effort with what they have. It's just that if a beginner has natural ability, they will prove themselves with what's available to them and make the best out of what they have. The truth is, if the tools are not up to the job, there is only so much even a skilled worker can achieve. Part of my experience as a skilled craftsman, includes knowing what tools are best and knowing where to find them.

And if the tools are blunt - or the handle snaps?

As true as it is in some cases, it's still an old wive's tale, told to address those who don't make the effort with what they have. It's just that if a beginner has natural ability, they will prove themselves with what's available to them and make the best out of what they have. The truth is, if the tools are not up to the job, there is only so much even a skilled worker can achieve. Part of my experience as a skilled craftsman, includes knowing what tools are best and knowing where to find them.

A skilled tradesman knows when to blame his tools.

Back