Its not the DAW is the User .....

Sure, if you record a record in Gabriel's Real World studio versus recording one at home with four mics, there will be a significant difference based solely on the tools. But that doesn't mean you can't get something amazing with those four mics. My point is that it is very easy to half-ass it and just say, "Ah, well it's the fact that I only have four mics...that's why my mixes suck.". BS, I do so humbly declare! ;)

Today I started on two new mixes from two different bands. One recorded in Europe and judging by the data sheet, in a pretty impressive studio. The other song was recorded in South America, probably at home, and there are a grand total of 4 mics on the drums. These two mixes won't turn out the same. But I won't be able to continue keeping that oh-so-delicious food on the table if I were to not put 100% in to turning that 4 mic mix from shit into sugar; even if the tools used were not the best.

We're not building houses, we're creating art. So let's create the best art we can with whatever tools (broken or not) we have lying around.

And if the tools are blunt - or the handle snaps?

As true as it is in some cases, it's still an old wive's tale, told to address those who don't make the effort with what they have. It's just that if a beginner has natural ability, they will prove themselves with what's available to them and make the best out of what they have. The truth is, if the tools are not up to the job, there is only so much even a skilled worker can achieve. Part of my experience as a skilled craftsman, includes knowing what tools are best and knowing where to find them.

There use to be an old saying "its a poor workman that blames his tools" like the man says Google it, read about it, but above all practise it !

We seem to be saying exactly the same thing. I'm not saying that a skilled person can't work wonders with a limited set of tools. The equivalent kept cropping up on the airbrush forums I used to frequent. You would see some amazing work by artists using the cheaper air guns and sometimes, it could be hard to see a difference when they upgraded. Yet, a complete rookie would turn up having kitted themselves out to the nines before they had even learned to draw, so you can imagine the initial results. My advice, as always, was, find a tool that you can trust and feel comfortable with - and remember that inexpensive does not always mean 'cheap' if you go with a basic but well made tool. If you start out fighting a cheap instrument you may not progress as quickly and in some cases, may even mistakenly come to the conclusion that the airbrush is not for you. But then, there are always those who manage to make something of beauty by squeezing the best they can out of limited equipment.

And it will be analogous to the DAW. I think that so much depends on the person, and their level of talent and expertise, such that individual requirements may vary.

On the whole, I definitely agree.

As far as DAW's (I believe what the OP was on), I see very little difference between them. I have seen many arguments crop up that the inherit sound of X DAW is better than Y DAW. Those always make me laugh. Guys arguing about the most inane minutia when they should be learning how to check the phase on their drums. Ha!
I feel as though recording technology has passed the point where the entry-level recording systems will hold you back in any significant way. Cubase, Reaper, PT, Logic, etc... Hell, even a little 8 track and a 57 can get great results.

We seem to be saying exactly the same thing. I'm not saying that a skilled person can't work wonders with a limited set of tools. The equivalent kept cropping up on the airbrush forums I used to frequent. You would see some amazing work by artists using the cheaper air guns and sometimes, it could be hard to see a difference when they upgraded. Yet, a complete rookie would turn up having kitted themselves out to the nines before they had even learned to draw, so you can imagine the initial results. My advice, as always, was, find a tool that you can trust and feel comfortable with - and remember that inexpensive does not always mean 'cheap' if you go with a basic but well made tool. If you start out fighting a cheap instrument you may not progress as quickly and in some cases, may even mistakenly come to the conclusion that the airbrush is not for you. But then, there are always those who manage to make something of beauty by squeezing the best they can out of limited equipment.

And it will be analogous to the DAW. I think that so much depends on the person, and their level of talent and expertise, such that individual requirements may vary.

Back