Issues Configuring D8 with Quantum Interface

mrbrownstone

Hey All!

I recently picked up a Prosonus Digimax D8 to go along with my Quantum 26x32 thunderbolt - But am having issues getting them configured to work together.

This is my first experience with using a slave preamp via ADAT. Looking at the manual for the Quantum, it says that there should be an in and out on both the quantum and slave preamp that are connected via ADAT cables, and a BNC cable is used to sync the clocks. Looking at the manual for the D8, it says that there should only be one ADAT cable coming from the out on the D8 to the in on the interface, along with the BNC cable.

Looking at the D8, there is only an ADAT out on the back - No in?? From what I understand, there are usually 2x ADAT cables used to connect the master, and slave. I've connected the BNC cable, and can see a response from the D8 on the front light indicating that its using an ext clock @ 44.1. I've tried connecting the ADAT cable from the out on the D8 to both of the the in's on the Quantum, with no luck.

I'm not sure if there is possibly something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advanced!!

Set the Digimax as clock slave and the Quantum as clock master (using the word clock connection from the WC out of the Quantum to the WC of the Digimax, as you likely have it). It's not necessary (or possible) to connect ADAT from the Quantum to the Digimax as the BNC connector should deal with WC sync.

Does the Quantum do 44.1kHz? The photos I have found show the inputs as either 48kHz in normal single fiber mode or 96kHz in dual fiber S/MUX mode. Maybe that's just shorthand because of limited space on the panel.

Be sure both interfaces are set to the same sample rate. It may be that the Digimax will follow the WC signal, or you may need to set it explicitly. I would use the "7-14" input on the Quantum and look for signal coming in on corresponding channels in the DAW.

It may be that you did all this, but I thought I'd detail it just to be sure.

Theoretically, you could slave in the opposite direction (Digimax/master to Quantum/slave) using the ADAT connection, but the BNC is probably the better option.

Back