Internal Hard Drive As External

idkDude

I'm trying to figure out if I can take the files from the hard drive (Maxtor fireball 3 40gb) of my old fostex vf160 that has a broken rewind button making it virtually unusable and transfer them to a mac (OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6) then to a DAW. I've already tried using an adaptor meant for that purpose and it was "unreadable" or something like that. I tried all configurations of the jumper and no jumper. I admit, I have the capability to do this via adat, but it's a little tedious because there is a lot of music on the Fostex and it has to be transferred in real time using adat. It would be great if I could just pull the wav files from the hard drive. Any insight or experience is appreciated! Thanks.

It seems as if Fostex has a proprietary drive formatting (FDMS) that is not readable by any home computers, as far as I could determine in a few minutes of searching. Your best bet is to get the files off slowly, I'm afraid, unless you have better luck with your searching!

You could try Pete at Scan? He might know what software is needed.

I had the same trouble with a HD in a Freeview recorder. The internal DVD went west so I could no longer do fast copies. I took the HDD out and put it in a caddy. "Cannot open. Files unrecognized" End of.

Dave.

I'm trying to figure out if I can take the files from the hard drive (Maxtor fireball 3 40gb) of my old fostex vf160 that has a broken rewind button making it virtually unusable and transfer them to a mac (OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.6) then to a DAW. I've already tried using an adaptor meant for that purpose and it was "unreadable" or something like that. I tried all configurations of the jumper and no jumper. I admit, I have the capability to do this via adat, but it's a little tedious because there is a lot of music on the Fostex and it has to be transferred in real time using adat. It would be great if I could just pull the wav files from the hard drive. Any insight or experience is appreciated! Thanks.
I have a VF160 I know it’s an old desk but been a great machine but I can’t access the set up mode anymore.. any ideas ?????

Back