Interference when Recording Audio

Kyotix

A week ago I pulled the plug and decided to switch from Mac to PC. I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem for this past week with no success.
I am trying to record audio (using windows 10) but get an extreme amount of feedback/interference, no matter what I try. and on top of that the volume of my voice is extremely low as well. My mouth has to be touching the pop filter for you to even hear my voice at all over the feedback. I am using an XLR - 3.5mm cable from the mic to the computer.
List of solutions I have tried:
Turning Enhancements on and off (echo and noise reduction)
Uninstalling/reinstalling Realtek audio drivers.
Increasing/ decreasing mic volume/gain/boost.
Line-in / mic-in (line in gives a more buzzy feedback where as mic-in gives a static/white noise)
I plugged the mic into my iMac and it is crystal clear. Im just not sure what the issue is. I have tried different combinations of these things as well and have gotten no where. I have also tried several different sofwares to record into. I'm not sure where else to turn and this is becoming a major issue for me, as anything I record just sounds like static. I have tried several different mics, even a gaming usb headset with a mic. If there is any mic plugged into the computer at all, I get the feedback when I play the recording back. Even with just a pair of apple earbuds that have the mic on the cable! When nothing is plugged in, the recordings sound how they should; SILENT! I will attach a recording so you can get an idea. If anyone has any input or suggestions at all I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jacob

Attachments

• Recording.mp3
    558 KB · Views: 5
A week ago I pulled the plug and decided to switch from Mac to PC. I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem for this past week with no success.
I am trying to record audio (using windows 10) but get an extreme amount of feedback/interference, no matter what I try. and on top of that the volume of my voice is extremely low as well. My mouth has to be touching the pop filter for you to even hear my voice at all over the feedback. I am using an XLR - 3.5mm cable from the mic to the computer.
List of solutions I have tried:
Turning Enhancements on and off (echo and noise reduction)
Uninstalling/reinstalling Realtek audio drivers.
Increasing/ decreasing mic volume/gain/boost.
Line-in / mic-in (line in gives a more buzzy feedback where as mic-in gives a static/white noise)
I plugged the mic into my iMac and it is crystal clear. Im just not sure what the issue is. I have tried different combinations of these things as well and have gotten no where. I have also tried several different sofwares to record into. I'm not sure where else to turn and this is becoming a major issue for me, as anything I record just sounds like static. I have tried several different mics, even a gaming usb headset with a mic. If there is any mic plugged into the computer at all, I get the feedback when I play the recording back. Even with just a pair of apple earbuds that have the mic on the cable! When nothing is plugged in, the recordings sound how they should; SILENT! I will attach a recording so you can get an idea. If anyone has any input or suggestions at all I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Jacob

Sounds like a windoze pc problem. Mostly hardware but could be software.

Did you delete all the useless social media crapware?
Did you turn off the antivirus program.

Did you clean and defrag the disk?
Did you maximise your buffer size?

Did you properly set the audio settings from the control panel?
Including speakers out as well as the inputs and processing options.
Where could feedback be coming from?

How solid is the 3.5 connector? Is it loose at all?

Do you have the right 3.5 connector for the PC?

Have you considered wiping win10 and using linux?

Its a brand new pc right out of the box so I'm hoping that it is not a hardware problem.
Don't have any social media or any crap installed so that couldn't be it.
I just tried to disable the antivirus; no change
Shouldn't need to clean or defrag since the computer is brand new and started having the problem right away
I have tinkered around with the control panel in as many ways as I can think of.
3.5 connector is solid and shouldn't be the problem since it happens when any mic source is plugged in.
tried plugging into front and back panels as well.
Not really sure about linux

- What mic are you using?
- What DAW (recording software) are you trying to record with?
- Feedback - Do you have monitors/speakers turned on?
- "I am using an XLR - 3.5mm cable from the mic to the computer." - Pretty good chance you're not using a cable that changes the 'balanced' XLR connection of the mic to an 'unbalanced' mono connection into the 3.5mm computer jack.... Look at the wiring diagram in this link.... https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-XVM-305F-Camcorder-Microphone-Right-angle/dp/B00006LVFF

**** Do not defrag the computers disk if it's an SSD ****

There are several ways a 3.5mm input on a computer can be configured. None of them are really made for connecting a professional microphone. It's possible that with the right wiring of the cable you can make it work fairly well, but most likely the best solution is to get a USB recording interface that it designed for XLR mic input.

I have tried with several mics but the one that I am wanting to record with currently is an Audio-Technica AT2035. I have tried recording into Ableton Live, Streamlabs, Audacity, the voice recorder on the computer etc. No speakers are turned on, even tried with them un plugged completely. As for the topic you brought up with the cable; I had thought this could be the issue as well but it still would not make sense because I have tried mics with USB and even regular 3.5 without the connector.

I have tried with several mics but the one that I am wanting to record with currently is an Audio-Technica AT2035. I have tried recording into Ableton Live, Streamlabs, Audacity, the voice recorder on the computer etc. No speakers are turned on, even tried with them un plugged completely. As for the topic you brought up with the cable; I had thought this could be the issue as well but it still would not make sense because I have tried mics with USB and even regular 3.5 without the connector.

AT2035 requires phantom power which is not provided by the computer. You should get a proper USB interface which will provide phantom power for this mic and make life much easier to record than trying to use the computers soundcard.

Is your PC a laptop or desktop? A laptop may have a combo mic/line/headphone jack which complicates connecting with a 'real' mic more difficult.

This is a short clip of an Sennheiser e935 dynamic mic that does not need phantom power, plugged into a Win7 desktops 'MIC' jack through the PC's soundcard using a similar cable to the one I suggested above. I usually use a USB interface and this just simply a test to try it.

Attachments

• e935 into mic in.mp3
    248.2 KB · Views: 4
It is a desktop. But besides the Phantom Power for the AT, why would just a regular dynamic mic have the same issue. Even a Karaoke mic that is made to just be plug and go.

Macs have perfectly usable inputs and outputs that are in fact, very good quality, and very noise free. PCs on the other hand are notorious for having low-fi audio inputs. Outputs are often OK in terms of quality, but suffer badly from interference. Many users trying to use laptops to replay audio at live events have terrible trouble getting interference free results - Usually nasty hums and data noises are normal. You need a proper interface connected by USB nowadays.

It is a desktop. But besides the Phantom Power for the AT, why would just a regular dynamic mic have the same issue. Even a Karaoke mic that is made to just be plug and go.
The cable you're using for the dynamic is likely not connecting to the jack correctly. The Mac jack may be doing something differently for the connection if it's working better.

Its a brand new pc right out of the box so I'm hoping that it is not a hardware problem.
Don't have any social media or any crap installed so that couldn't be it.
I just tried to disable the antivirus; no change
Shouldn't need to clean or defrag since the computer is brand new and started having the problem right away
I have tinkered around with the control panel in as many ways as I can think of.
3.5 connector is solid and shouldn't be the problem since it happens when any mic source is plugged in.
tried plugging into front and back panels as well.
Not really sure about linux

sorry to burst your bubble but all windoze win10 machines come loaded with useless crapware and social media stuff that sucks up cycles and causes problems

besides their audio capability is poor

you need an audio interface to connect via usb that has quality mike inputs not a 3.5mm hole

it sounds like your cable converting to 3.5 may not be what the pc wants to see

Hi,
Disable or lower any microphone boost options, which may cause peaking audio levels and brief, loud buzzes.

Last edited:
Back