Interface question

raven46

I need to improve the latency on my laptop, I dont record into the laptop I use a stand alone and send the track to Cubase for mixing and editing and using Vst's

I was thinking a firewire audio interface would help and after doing a search I can't find one that dose not have analog and midi inputs as I don't need it for recording just to help with latency

This is the interface I'm leaning towards
http://www.thomann.de/index.html?partner_id=97926&page=ie/infrasonic_deux.htm
though I should ask you guys before I bought it for your opinions on this particular interface and also if I'm even buying the piece of gear for improving latency? I've only started to look into it

Latency is the delay between when you strike a key or input a sound and when it comes out of your monitors again. Playback-only just doesn't matter....

If you're not using your interface/soundcard for midi or audio, just what do you think is latency problem you are having????

Latency is the delay between when you strike a key or input a sound and when it comes out of your monitors again. Playback-only just doesn't matter....

If you're not using your interface/soundcard for midi or audio, just what do you think is latency problem you are having????

I'm using Addictive Drums in Cubase and an M-Audio controller running on Vista, the latency when I hit a key or play a beat is ok but could be smoother and I get alot of crackles and pops

I'm guessing its the stock card in the laptop thats causing the problem, I'm looking for an interface that will help give me low or 0 latency when using Vst's in cubase not necessarily for recording into the computer

pops and crackles, to me, means clipping or just shitty sound card all together, but pops usually mean clipping i think. And an interface would help with this.

But.. I would say a usb controller isn't going to gain anything from an interface.

EDIT:

On second thought.. Taking the sound interface away from the built in sound card MIGHT lessen the stress on the CPU? Which could decrease the latency on the USB controller... I think.... Maybe... Right?

Last edited:
pops and crackles, to me, means clipping or just shitty sound card all together, but pops usually mean clipping i think. And an interface would help with this.

But.. I would say a usb controller isn't going to gain anything from an interface.

Its definately not clipping, I would agree its a shitty soundcard.
I heard for best results when lowering the latency, it should only be brought back to the point of where its starts to crackle and then bring it up until there are no crackles
I have the latency to where the controller plays smoothish(could be better) but it crackles frequently. If I bring the latency up the delay starts to kick in

[/QUOTE]
On second thought.. Taking the sound interface away from the built in sound card MIGHT lessen the stress on the CPU? Which could decrease the latency on the USB controller... I think.... Maybe... Right?[/QUOTE]

This is what I'm hoping but havn't been able to get a definate answer

By lowering the latency with an interface the plan is to get the controller to play smoother(hopefully 0 delay) with a Vst and get rid of the crackles

Back