Interface? Mixer? Computer? ......newb.

ihitskinsonly

I am attempting to turn my basement jam area into a recording studio.
As of now we just jam there for fun, or practice.

An overview of what I think I want:
There will be a bunch of drums and percussion instruments mic'd up, maybe 10 mics or more, depending.
One electric bass guitar.
One (or two) electric guitar(s).
One keyboard.
One electric organ.
Two vocal mics.

As far as equipment goes, I have very little so far and I'm working on a cheap budget.
I have a Mackie 16 input mixer with the mic input expander, which all the mics and instruments will be run through.

After that....I'm getting lost.
I don't know much of anything about computers.....software.....interfaces.....or basically anything else.

Is my understanding correct that I will need an "interface" and a computer with proper software for recording?

Does the interface need an equal amount of inputs as my mixer?

Do I need to be asking myself other questions here?

I'm open to suggestions on interface/ computer/ software combos that are relatively beginner friendly.
I have very little PC experience, Zero Mac experience.....more android smartphone experience than anything, I've actually never owned a real computer ?.

For a technological caveman like myself, all this electronic talk is very new and confusing, so thank you for bearing with me and any positive input!

If you want to make fun of me, that's fine too, I have thick skin....I'm sure I've said at least one dumb thing already....haha!

The interface needs to have as many inputs as you want to record at once.

It may be easier in the long run to let go of the mixer and use the software that comes with the interface to generate monitor mixes. It's a bit less intuitive doing that on the computer but that would be easier than interconnecting the mixer and interface. It sounds like you've got the original Mackie CR-1604, which is getting pretty old by now.

Interfaces each have specific input monitoring features. Ones with more than two inputs usually have software to control it. It would essentially be a mixer on the computer screen.

Also consider the need for a pair of proper studio monitors, headphones, perhaps headphone amps and some acoustic treatment.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, the mixer is a CR1604, and appears to be no spring chicken, but it allegedly works well...I think my buddy came by it on the cheap. Truthfully, I have no clue if it works at all.
I was considering not using it already, after a few things I've read. So thanks for bringing that up, I appreciate it.

Could I ask you to elaborate on the difference between studio monitors and speakers (like cabinets)?
I've been trying to get my semi-experienced band mate to explain that to me, and he seems unable.

Also, by acoustic treatment, you mean the room itself? Or am I way off base?
The room should be good, I've taken steps to reduce reverb and echo, its quite dead now.

Many speakers are made to make things sound good, or to a price point. Either way they may not be accurate enough. Studio monitors are made to be accurate and revealing so you hear what's there, especially if it's bad. But some good home speakers are accurate so could be used for monitors.

Many studio monitors are active, with the amp(s) built in, so everything can be optimized. They'll generally have balanced signal input to interface with pro style gear.

Yes, acoustic treatment of the room. It's probable that there are issues in the low frequencies that need addressing, even if it sounds dead to you now.

I see.
Thanks for clearing that up for me about the monitors.

I suppose I'll need to actually do some recording to see whats needed in the room.
At this point I've basically covered the ceiling in 2.5 inch "eggcrate" foam panels, covered the floors with rugs, and covered the walls with tapestries and more foam panels....I could fill a few gaps here and there with more foam, but aside from rebuilding with Resilient Channel, I don't know that I can do much more...
I only did all this because when I moved in, it was like an echo chamber down here....now it's like I can't hear myself yell....it's a major difference and I'm actually surprised at the effectiveness.

I also tune my drums for minimal suatain.

Anyone have any sugestions for a newbie to begin looking into computers?
Or does it matter much?
Will an interface come with software?

Nah, you're not too newb. Many ask the same questions. I don't know the mackie mixer that you have, but if it doesn't stream audio to a computer you'll be looking to get an interface. Your budget and how many inputs you need will drive your options.

I've been eye-balling the Behringer XR18 lately. Mostly to use for FOH with my band, but also to have the ability to capture each channel of a live performance. It'll stream 18 pre-fader channels to your PC. The unit will work as good in the studio as it would on stage. Behringer has a bad reputation for copying other manufacturers and cutting corners to keep prices low, but the XR18 gets really good reviews.

Your biggest consumption of inputs would be your drum kit. Do you really need 10 mics or more? If you can get by with less than you can look at cheaper units with less inputs.

BTW; most interfaces do come with some 'lite' form of DAW software. However, if you don't like the bundled version, you'll want to consider buying an upgrade. You don't need to look at the full blown DAW programs. Most every DAW will have a stripped down version that is better than the bundled versions that come with an interface. And they are not expensive. For example, Cubase might come with some interfaces but that version is just enough to show you what it can do. You'll outgrow it quickly. But you can upgrade it to the Elements or Artist version for not a lot of money and you'll have something that will fill your needs without having to spend $500 on the full blown version.

Sweetwater.com is a great place to look at interfaces.

Most any computer will work these days. Well, except for the super low budget ones. Get something with an i7, at least 8GB of RAM, two drives, (one SSD, the other spinning). Everyone loves two monitors. A lot of laptops can work well too, if you're requirements keep you mobile.

As for room treatment, consider putting bass traps in the corners of your room. The foam has its purpose, but does little to stop low freq reflections which the human ear can't really pick up. Owen Corning OC703 wrapped in light weight fabric works best. Or at least best bang for the buck. Google OC703 bass traps and you'll find plenty of DIY ideas. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Hope this helps.

I see.
Thanks for clearing that up for me about the monitors.

I suppose I'll need to actually do some recording to see whats needed in the room.
At this point I've basically covered the ceiling in 2.5 inch "eggcrate" foam panels, covered the floors with rugs, and covered the walls with tapestries and more foam panels....I could fill a few gaps here and there with more foam, but aside from rebuilding with Resilient Channel, I don't know that I can do much more...
I only did all this because when I moved in, it was like an echo chamber down here....now it's like I can't hear myself yell....it's a major difference and I'm actually surprised at the effectiveness.

I also tune my drums for minimal suatain.

You will eventually hate that you did that to your room when it comes to recording...

Been there and done that.

Your first step will be to record in that space and find how it works/doesn't work.

Chili pretty much summed up where you need to start.

Again, I have been where you are. I wish I knew then what I know now...

You came to the right place to get shit straight tho.

Cheers ihit!

Welcome to the forum. :)

No one has asked, so I will - what's your total budget for gear and room treatment? Are you trying to record the band 'live' - that is, no overtracking/separate tracking of parts? Right now you are talking about 14-15 tracks (not including vocals, which you may want to track separately after the instruments are done), and needing 12-13 mic preamps, if you mic up the bass and guitars. That's going to start costing you some bucks.

All that foam and carpet and tapestries works in taming 'flutter reverb', but leaves the low end untreated. You don't hear that when trying things out, but when recording all the low stuff (under 250Hz) makes recordings sound muddy and indistinct.

No one has asked, so I will - what's your total budget for gear and room treatment? Are you trying to record the band 'live' - that is, no overtracking/separate tracking of parts? Right now you are talking about 14-15 tracks (not including vocals, which you may want to track separately after the instruments are done), and needing 12-13 mic preamps, if you mic up the bass and guitars. That's going to start costing you some bucks.

All that foam and carpet and tapestries works in taming 'flutter reverb', but leaves the low end untreated. You don't hear that when trying things out, but when recording all the low stuff (under 250Hz) makes recordings sound muddy and indistinct.

Yep, that will happen.

And yes, the OP never expressed budget. He could sell the foam (if it is indeed the expensive stuff) to someone else and build acoustic treatment that works.

Depending on location, that is way less expensive. If you can hammer a nail strong enough to hold carpet on a wall, then you can build panels that will make a huge difference.

It is quite vague what the OP had done.

Hit us up with more input ihitskinsonly!

:)

Back