Interface

Henry Munchies

I came into possession of an old DP-01 tascam recorder, found a power chord, got it up and running, only to discover that my computer will not recognize it. The manual indicates that it was supposed to be used with an XP or ME. Is there any way around this? I'm not a tekki, so maybe this sounds silly, but I would like to avoid changing my OS.

Last edited:
What are you trying to do with it?

The Tascam site says the USB 2.0 port is for computer backup, i.e., it's not an audio interface device. That's how I read the specs at the Tascam site, anyway.

The Tascam has analog outputs that could go into an interface, and it also has SPDIF optical in/out, so you could, theoretically at least, connect it through an interface with SPDIF input, though that could depend on the interface and its ability to be configured to accept an external clock (assuming there's no way to set that on the Tascam).

DP-01 | SPECIFICATIONS | TASCAM - United States

From a Sound on Sound review:

"There is also the aforementioned USB socket that enables song files, master stereo tracks, and individual audio tracks to be backed up and restored using either Mac or PC with the relevant OS. Windows ME, 2000, and XP are all compatible, as are Mac OS 9.0 and Mac OS X 10.2."

With luck it might show up as a storage device. Were that to be the case, you could upload files off the Tascam and import them into a DAW.

Back