Important album ... time for a new Mac?

endserenading81

Hello everyone,

my MacBook Pro of mid 2008 recently died on me (**** MAD). It died last year, and has really put a dent in my progression as a musician that records.

I have recently gotten some extra money and I am itching to record this important next album. I can either fix my older MacBook for around $300, or buy a new iMac for $1k.

When my MacBook Pro broke down, I could still make some great music with good reliability, .... but not the best. It started to choke up with a number of tracks and effects. I had to get around this just closing the bare min of apps and just keep going. I just dealt with it.

I am trying to decide what to do. I want to spend as little money as I need to, while ensuring that I am back in the Mac OS strong for years to come.

All my songs are in Logic, more done than starting fresh with a Windows machine, which I have. I was thinking of upgrading my Windows machine for about $300, but I would have to record all over again with an app I am not familiar with.

My question is > Should I repair my older MacBook Pro for around $300, or just get a faster new iMac for $1k, so I can WORK?

Thanks,

R

Put the $300 repair money towards a new computer, usually a computer over a year old is not worth fixing (unless you have warranty cover). The speed of computers and processing power increases every 3 to 6 months.

Example, I had a $3000 lap top, top of the line, when it was 3 years old it was stolen. The insurance Co bought me a better, faster, bigger hard drive, etc and it was $1200.

Cheers
Alan.

I'd go with the new iMac. A MacBook Pro, like any laptop, can do a decent job, but a desktop will always be better, both in terms of hard drive performance and thermal envelope.

What broke on your MBP, out of curiosity?

I have an iMac with i3 intel chip, 4gb of RAM and 500gb HDD, 21.5 inch display.

Can handle everything I throw at it...and if you get it direct from the apple website you can pay just £30 a month so you hardly feel it. Score!

Back